Our wedding ceremony, wedding breakfast, and evening reception were all at the same venue. We knew that there would be a couple of hours between the ceremony and the wedding breakfast – mostly taken up by having our photos taken – we decided to organise some entertainment to keep our guests occupied and amused.
We were going to lots of wedding shows in the lead up to our wedding, and we often saw magicians, performing close up magic at weddings. We saw a magician called Gavin Davey, and really enjoyed his charm and his act (and his price!). I absolutely adore magic tricks, and I am always in awe at the skill of these illusionists – Gavin was booked pretty much on the spot!
We kept this a complete surprise for our guests, and he just blended in, showing his magic tricks and entertaining our guests. We hired him to walk around during our canapé reception, whilst we were away having photographs taken.
During the speeches he put on a magic show for the kids in the lounge behind the dining room, and I saw his balloon models floating around during the day too! He was money very well spent!
Sadly, as busy as we were with chatting to our guests and having photographs taken, we didn’t even get to see him perform! He slipped into and slipped back out of the reception without being seen…like magic! I know he was thoroughly enjoyed by all guests, who said they had never seen a magician at a wedding before! I like to set trends y’know!
As our wedding was in the summer, and because our venue had a beautiful outdoor garden and courtyard, I thought it would be fun to lay out some giant lawn games for the kids (and big kids!) to play.
I bought a chess set, dominos, Jenga, Connect 4 and a crazy golf set. This was another surprise on the day and went down really well with the guests – I’m so glad we did this!
All the pieces of the games ended up on the balcony, where my son and his best mate had taken them up to play with in the evening!
At another wedding show that we visited, we saw and heard a wonderfully talented singer called Craig Neil who was hired on the spot!
He helped us put together a set with some lovely swing and soul tracks, and was just brilliant…he even found the track for ‘Earth Angel’ from ‘Back to the Future’ which he sang for us whilst we officially cut our wedding cake.
Here is his showreel – sadly we don’t have any video of him from our wedding.
Unfortunately, no one told us, or him, that the reception room got wicked hot during summer. Most of the guests sat outside in the courtyard to keep cool, which meant that a lot of the time, Craig was singing for just a few guests at the bar.
I apologised to him for this at the end of his set, and he said how he wished someone had told him about this as he would have gladly set up his PA outside…hindsight, isn’t it marvellous?
Hubby and I had a good dance though, and he told us, that as long as he was singing for us, that is all that mattered. Craig was a very nice guy, with a great voice and I would highly recommend him.
Oh, and for nostalgia purposes, I found his set list!
- Everything – Michael Bublé
- Somewhere Beyond The Sea – Frank Sinatra
- Strangers In The Night – Frank Sinatra
- Mack The Knife – Bobby Darrin
- Fly Me To The Moon – Frank Sinatra
- Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You – Andy Williams
- Under My Skin – Frank Sinatra
- Earth Angel (Back to the Future!) – The Penguins
- Let There Be Love – Nat King Cole
- L.O.V.E – Michael Bublé
- Unforgettable – Nat King Cole
- The Way You Look Tonight – Frank Sinatra
- Don’t Rain On My Parade – Bobby Darrin
- You Make Me Feel So Young – Frank Sinatra
- Save The Last Dance For Me – Michael Bublé
- You To Me Are Everything – The Real Thing
- Beatles Medley
- Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
- River Deep, Mountain High – Neil Diamond
- Could It Be Magic – Take That
- Never Give Up On A Good Thing – George Benson
- All Night Long – Lionel Richie
- I’m A Believer – Monkees
- Mustang Sally – Wilson Pickett
- Hang On In There Baby – Curiosity Killed The Cat
- Let Me Entertain You – Robbie Williams
- Is This The Way To Amarillo – Tony Christie
- Can’t Get By Without You – The Real Thing
- My First, My Last, My Everything – Barry White
Our Wedding Day Index
- Our Wedding Venue
- Our Wedding Invitations
- Our Wedding Stationery
- Our Wedding Jewellery
- Our Wedding Favors
- Our Wedding Attendants’ Gifts
- Our Wedding Memories & Keepsakes
- Our Wedding Flowers
- Our Wedding Cake
- Our Wedding Candy Buffet
- Our Wedding Food
- Our Wedding Attendants
- Our Wedding – The Groom
- Our Wedding – The Bride
- Our Wedding Music
- Our Wedding Entertainment
- Our Wedding Dining Tables
- Our Big Day!
After Our Wedding Day…