These Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Chicken Tenders are crispy, crunchy, and delicious! In this easy recipe, chicken tenders are coated with crushed potato chips and cooked perfectly in the air fryer.
You can have this quick dinner ready and on the table in around 30 minutes!
Don’t have time for this recipe now? Tap the share icon in the bottom right of the screen, then tap the heart icon ♥ to save it for later!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
While you may prefer to skip to the recipe card, we suggest reading the entire blog post to avoid missing valuable tips and substitution suggestions and to ensure you have the necessary ingredients, equipment, and understanding of the steps and timings.
Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
Are you tired of the same old chicken tenders that leave you craving something more?
Prepare to have your taste buds blown away as we unlock the secrets to creating the perfect air fryer chicken tenderloins using your trusty Ninja Foodi.
Whether you’re a novice in the kitchen or a seasoned home cook, this step-by-step guide will have you transforming your air fryer into a chicken tender heaven.
Using simple ingredients, get ready to experience the crispy, juicy, and flavor-packed chicken tenders you’ve always dreamed of!
Best Chicken Tenders
Instead of a typical breadcrumb mixture, fresh chicken tenders are coated with crushed plain potato chips – however, you can switch things up by using different chip flavors.
(Be sure to check our FAQ section for more flavor combinations for your air fry chicken tenders!)
Whipping up air fryer chicken tenders takes no time at all, with just 10 minutes of prep work and 25 minutes of cooking time.
These will disappear fast, so make lots of them!
Whether you want an easy dinner for the whole family, need to feed a game day crowd, or need a chicken dish to put on a party buffet table, homemade air fryer chicken tenders are a great recipe to prepare!
What Can I Serve With Air Fryer Chicken Tenders?
- Pineapple Coleslaw with Bacon: The crisp and tangy coleslaw provides a refreshing contrast to the crunchy potato chip crust of the chicken tenders.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob: The sweet and juicy corn on the cob provides a comforting and flavorful side dish that complements the crispy chicken tenders.
- Creamy Red Potato Salad: Creamy potato salad pairs well with the crunchy potato chip crust, adding an extra layer of flavor to the dish.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
Ingredients Needed For Potato Chip-Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Protein – Chicken Breast Tenders (or Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into even strips)
- Pantry – Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Black Pepper
- All-Purpose Flour – Also known as Plain Flour
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Dill
- Ridged Potato Chips – We used salted, but you can use any flavor you like.
- Cooking Spray – Use your preferred oil – olive, avocado, canola, sunflower, etc.
- To serve – as desired with your favorite sauce – Ranch, Honey Mustard, BBQ, etc.
The complete list of ingredients with measurements is on the recipe card at the end of this post.
No time to read now? Tap the buttons below to save the recipe to your Pinterest boards or Facebook page for later!
Equipment Needed For This Recipe
- Ninja Foodi Air Fryer – Cook times and instructions will vary depending on the kind of air fryer you have. Be sure to check the recommended guidelines for air frying chicken tenders for your specific unit before preparing this recipe
- Large Rimmed Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper – also known as baking paper or greaseproof paper.
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping/Cutting Board
- Shallow Dishes – you will need 3 for breading/dredging station
The Purple Pumpkin Blog uses both cups and weighted measurements in its recipes, making American cups and kitchen food scales valuable tools for trying all the recipes. We provide US customary, imperial, and metric measurements. Still, it’s important to note that while you can combine cup measurements with weighted measures, never mix US customary/imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.) with metric (kilograms, grams, liters, etc.).
Reasons You’ll Love Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- The cooking time is incredibly efficient. You’ll have a meal on your table in just 35 minutes!
- This recipe is versatile—use different spices to customize your tenders. Check out our FAQs for more ideas.
- The air fryer basket delivers a golden brown finish that’s crispy on the outside yet tender and juicy on the inside.
- You can choose your favorite dipping sauce to serve alongside for a personalized touch.
Dinner Party Menu Suggestions
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a casual dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: Tomato Salsa & Tortilla Chips
- Soup: Loaded Cauliflower Leek Soup
- Salad: Crunchy Apple Celery Salad with Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette
- Side Dish: Baked Zucchini Fries
- Cocktail: Strawberry Lemonade Margaritas
- Dessert: Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
How Do I Make Air Fryer Chicken Tenders?
The printable recipe card with the ingredients list and instructions can be found at the end of this post.
Number of Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
Step 1 – Preheat Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/200°C and set the timer to 15 minutes. Press “Start” to preheat the unit.
Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and set it aside.
Step 2 – Set Up Dredging Station: Place the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried dill into a shallow dish. Season to taste with salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
Whisk the eggs with salt and pepper to taste in a second shallow dish.
Place the potato chips in a zippered bag and smash with a rolling pin or similar until the chips are broken down into smaller pieces, roughly the size of panko breadcrumbs. Transfer the crushed chips to a third shallow bowl.
Step 3 – Prepare Chicken: Bread the chicken by first placing each tender in the flour, then into the egg, and finally into the crushed potato chips.
Place the breaded tender on the prepared baking sheet.
Repeat the same process with all the remaining chicken pieces.
Step 4 – Cook Chicken: Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the prepared chicken tenders into the basket.
Spray the chicken with more cooking spray and bake for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway, until golden and crispy on the outside and cooked through in the middle.
Serve alongside your preferred dipping sauce. Enjoy!
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this recipe is chicken, so here are some more using the same:
- To cook in a regular oven, preheat to 400°F/200°C/Gas 6, and cook the tenders for 15-25 minutes.
- Ensure your chicken pieces are evenly coated in the coating mixture for the best results.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should read 165 degrees F (74 Celsius).
- If you prefer a bit of a kick, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder to your spice blend.
- Don’t overcrowd the tenders in the air fryer basket to keep them crispy. Cook in a single layer for optimal crunch.
- Changing the flavor and serving several versions using different flavored chip/herb combinations is easy. If using BBQ-flavored chips, we recommend leaving out the dill and substituting dried parsley.
Storing Leftovers & Freezing
- Storing Leftovers:
- Store leftovers, once cooled, in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freezing Instructions:
- To freeze, place cooled chicken tenders on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour. Transfer to a freezer bag making sure to squeeze out any excess air.
- Label with the dish’s name, thawing/reheating instructions, and the date to keep track of your food storage.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, air fry frozen chicken tenders at 400°F/200°C for 7-10 minutes until hot and crispy.
- With all leftovers, ensure the food looks and smells okay before consuming.
- Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart for Cooking
- You can always consult the Food Standards Agency in your country for the most up-to-date advice on storing and freezing foods: Food Standards Agency (UK) | Food Safety (USA).
Printable Air Fryer Chicken Tenders Recipe Card
The printable recipe card is below. Any demonstration photos on the recipe card are not printed out to save ink.
We appreciate it when you review the recipe and leave a star rating to share your experience with others!
- 1 lb (450g). chicken breast tenders*
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour (plain)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried dill
- 1 large egg
- 4 oz (100g) ridged salted potato chips
- Cooking spray
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- To serve: Ranch, honey mustard, BBQ, etc. as desired.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F/200°C and set the timer to 15 minutes. Press “Start” to preheat the unit. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- Place the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried dill into a shallow dish. Season to taste with salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Whisk the eggs with salt and pepper to taste in a second shallow dish. Place the potato chips in a zippered bag and smash with a rolling pin or similar until the chips are broken down into smaller pieces, roughly the size of panko breadcrumbs. Transfer the crushed chips to a third shallow bowl.
- Bread the chicken by first placing each tender in the flour, then into the egg, and finally into the crushed potato chips. Place the breaded tender on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat the same process with all the remaining chicken pieces.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the prepared chicken tenders into the basket. Spray the chicken with more cooking spray and bake for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway, until golden and crispy on the outside and cooked through in the middle. Serve alongside your dip of choice. Enjoy!
*Or 1 lb/450g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thirds, to form chicken tenders
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 608Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 1557mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 33g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Are you looking for more dishes to make in your air fryer? Check these recipes out next:
FAQs About Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
Here are some questions people often ask about cooking chicken tenders in an air fryer.
Click the question to read the answer. If you have one of your own, please comment on this post!
You can use any brand of air fryer to make these homemade chicken tenders – we just so happen to have a Ninja Foodi air fryer!
Yes, chicken tenders, often called chicken fingers, are a popular dish in the United States. They are commonly found on restaurant menus and are a favorite for many, especially children.
In the UK, chicken tenders are often referred to as chicken goujons or chicken strips. We use Mini Chicken Fillets when making this recipe.
Chicken tenders are a specific part of the chicken breast. They are the small, tender strips of meat found underneath the main breast. They can be easily separated and are known for their tenderness. However, if all you can buy are chicken breasts, you totally can.
Yes, you can put raw chicken in an air fryer. Ensure you cook it to the recommended temperature for poultry, which is 165°F or 74°C.
Air fryers have gained popularity because they offer a healthier alternative to traditional frying. They require less oil, resulting in fewer calories and fats, yet produce a crispy texture similar to deep-fried foods.
Air fryers generally consume less energy than a conventional oven, making them more cost-effective for shorter cooking durations.
Some potential downsides include limited cooking capacity (depending on the model), the learning curve for optimal cooking times, and they can’t completely replicate the taste and texture of deep-fried foods.
If you’re looking to cook food with less oil while achieving a crispy texture, then an air fryer can be a great addition to your kitchen. The choice ultimately depends on your cooking habits and preferences. We LOVE our Ninja Foodi and use it almost exclusively these days!
Soggy chicken tenders can result from overcrowding the air fryer basket, not cooking at the right temperature, or not using enough batter for crispiness.
Not flipping can result in uneven cooking. One side might be crispier than the other, or the underside might retain moisture and be less crispy.
Factors include not preheating the air fryer, overcrowding, or not cooking at the right temperature.
Air fryer chicken can have a crispy exterior similar to fried chicken, but the taste might slightly differ due to less oil absorption.
Popular condiments include ketchup, honey mustard, barbecue sauce, and ranch dressing.
There are lots of different ways you can coat juicy chicken strips. We’ve listed some combinations below for you to try.
More Potato Chip Coating Combos!
Making homemade Ninja Foodi chicken tenders is simple once you know how!
Following the recipe card, season the flour with the suggested herbs and spices, and coat the chicken strips with egg wash, seasoned flour, and crushed potato chips before cooking in your air fryer.
Adjust the amount of seasoning to your personal tastes.
Serve the cooked chicken tenders with the suggested sauces or your preferred dip.
1. Classic Barbecue Crunch: Season the flour with smoked paprika and garlic powder, and use crushed BBQ-flavored potato chips. Serve with honey mustard sauce.
2. Sour Cream & Chive Delight: Add some dried chives (or finely chopped fresh chives) and black pepper to the flour, and coat with sour cream and onion potato chips. Serve with creamy garlic aioli.
3. Spicy Jalapeño Kick: Sprinkle ground cumin and some fresh lime zest into the flour and combine. Crush up some jalapeño-flavored potato chips for the coating, and serve with guacamole on the side.
4. Tangy Salt & Vinegar Twist: Finely chop some fresh dill and add that to the flour with some lemon zest. Dip into crushed salt and vinegar chips; serve with Tzatziki when cooked.
5. Cheesy Herb Mix: Season the flour with finely chopped fresh rosemary (or dried rosemary) and grated parmesan. Use Cheddar cheese potato chips and serve with marinara sauce.
6. Ranch Fiesta: Add onion powder and finely chopped fresh parsley to the flour mixture, and coat with Cool Ranch Doritos (or other ranch-flavored chips). Serve with a Fresh Tomato Salsa. You could also use other Doritos flavors.
7. Mediterranean Magic: Flavor the flour with dried oregano, garlic powder, and lemon zest. Dip the chicken tenders with plain/salted potato chips, and serve with Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
8. Sweet Chili Fusion: Season some flour with ground ginger and finely chopped fresh cilantro. Crush up some sweet chili potato chips for the coating. Serve with a cool coconut lime dip made with coconut cream, yogurt, juice, and zest.
9. All-American Classic: Add onion powder and paprika to the flour and coat with plain potato chips. Serve with BBQ sauce.
10. Bold Pesto Punch: Spread some basil pesto onto the chicken strips instead of the egg and flour base. Coat with plain potato chips and serve with pesto mayo dip, made by combining mayonnaise and some pesto.
11. Italian Herbed Elegance: Combine Italian seasoning, garlic powder, grated parmesan, and lemon zest with flour. Use salted potato chips on the outside and serve with marinara sauce.
12. Crispy Buffalo Bliss: Finely chop some fresh chives and add to the flour with celery salt. Coat with sour cream potato chips. Add a sprinkle of blue cheese crumbles when serving if desired, and serve with buffalo sauce or blue cheese dressing.