This One-Pan Caprese Chicken Thighs Recipe is a flavorful and hassle-free dish that brings together the classic Caprese flavors of juicy tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and aromatic basil, all served atop perfectly seasoned chicken thighs.
Don’t have time for this recipe now? Tap the share icon in the bottom right of the screen, then tap the heart icon ♥ to save it for later!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I know that readers like to skip to the recipe card, but I recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Caprese Chicken Thighs Recipe
With just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep, this one-pan chicken recipe is a time-saving option that doesn’t compromise taste.
If you grow your own vegetables and herbs, this Caprese chicken thighs recipe is the perfect solution when your garden overflows with basil and cherry tomatoes!
The vibrant colors and robust flavors make it a standout on any table.
Whether you’re hosting a casual dinner party or looking for a comforting weeknight meal, this dish is sure to impress!
Reasons To Love This Caprese Chicken Thighs Recipe!
- Bursting with Flavor: The combination of juicy cherry tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and aromatic basil on top of perfectly seasoned chicken thighs creates a burst of flavor in every bite.
- Easy One-Pan Meal: With everything cooked in a single pan, this recipe saves time on cleanup while still delivering a satisfying and impressive meal.
- Versatile: This Caprese Chicken can be enjoyed on its own as a tasty appetizer before an entreé or paired with a side of pasta, salad, or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
- Family-Friendly: The familiar and beloved flavors of Caprese make this dish a hit with both kids and adults, making it a versatile option for family dinners.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon, Amazon Fresh, or other stores if available online.
Ingredients Needed For Caprese Chicken Thighs
- Fresh Produce – Basil, Cherry Tomatoes (if possible, use multi-colored tomatoes for visual appeal)
- Protein – Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Dairy – Unsalted Butter, Mozzarella Slices
- Pantry – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Black Pepper
- Italian Seasoning – this recipe uses store-bought Italian Seasoning, but it is so easy to make your own using our Homemade Italian Seasoning.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Chicken Broth/Stock
The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card at the end of this post.
No time to read now? Tap the buttons below to save the recipe to your Pinterest boards or Facebook page for later!
Equipment Needed For This Recipe
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use cups and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American US customary, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note that you can mix cup measurements with weighted measures, but never mix US customary/imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.) with metric (kilograms, grams, liters, etc.).
More Recipes Using Chicken Thighs
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken thighs, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Air Fryer Lemon Chicken Thighs & Potatoes Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Recipe with Rosemary and Lemon
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
How Do I Make Caprese Chicken Thighs?
The printable recipe card with the full ingredients list and instructions can be found at the end of this post.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
Step 1 – Preheat & Prep: Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas 7. Heat a large, oven-safe pan or skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
Combine the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Set it aside.
Step 2 – Season Chicken: Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
Sprinkle the chicken with one tablespoon of the Italian seasoning mixture. Season with salt and black pepper and toss to evenly coat.
Step 3 – Brown the Chicken: Transfer the chicken thighs to the hot pan and cook for 4 – 5 minutes per side, or until the chicken develops a golden brown crust.
Step 4 – Add Topping: Remove the pan from the heat, and add butter, chicken stock, and cherry tomatoes.
Top each chicken thigh with a slice of mozzarella and sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning mixture. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Step 5 – Bake the Chicken: Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the mozzarella is melted.
Remove the pan from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
Step 6 – Garnish & Serve: To serve, spoon pan sauce over chicken and top with fresh basil sprigs. Enjoy!
More One Pan Recipes
Looking for more dishes to make in one pan? Check these recipes out next:
- Flavorful One-Pan Mediterranean Pork Chops for Busy Weeknights
- One-Pan Lemon Chicken with Summer Squash (Ready in 30 Minutes!)
- One-Pan Chicken Cacciatore – Italian Hunter’s Stew
Storing Leftovers & Freezing
- Storing Leftovers:
- Store any leftover Caprese Chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezing Instructions:
- Cool completely, transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container, and place in the freezer.
- Label with the name of the dish, thawing/reheating instructions, and the date to keep track of your food storage.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To defrost the Caprese chicken, place it in the fridge to thaw overnight (or at least 12 hours).
- Reheat in the oven until piping hot throughout.
- With all leftovers, ensure the food looks and smells okay before consuming.
- Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart for Cooking
- You can always consult the Food Standards Agency in your country for the most up-to-date advice on storing and freezing foods: Food Standards Agency (UK) | Food Safety (USA).
Printable Caprese Chicken Thighs Recipe Card
To save ink, any demonstration photos on the recipe card do not print.
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs (900g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1½ Tbsp Italian seasoning, divided
- ½ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1/2 pint (250g) cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quartered depending on size
- 8 oz (225g) fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced ¼"(0.5cm) thick
- Several springs fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas 7. Heat a large, oven-safe pan or skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Combine the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Set it aside.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle the chicken with one tablespoon of the Italian seasoning mixture. Season with salt and black pepper and toss to evenly coat.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to the hot pan and cook for 4 - 5 minutes per side, or until the chicken develops a golden brown crust.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add butter, chicken stock, and cherry tomatoes. Top each chicken thigh with a slice of mozzarella and sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning mixture. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the mozzarella is melted. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve, spoon pan sauce over chicken and top with fresh basil sprigs. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 369mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 18g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Dinner Party Menu Suggestions
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: Balsamic Mozzarella Stuffed Grape Tomatoes
- Soup: 30-Minute Instant Pot Tomato Soup Recipe
- Salad: Classic Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- Side Dish: Oven-Roasted Parmesan Green Beans
- Beverage: Lemon Herb Vodka Spritzer
- Dessert: Lemon and Fig Olive Oil Cakes with Mascarpone & Vanilla-Fig Jam
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.