Fruity and flavorsome, this Apple Celery Salad is a crisp and refreshing lunch option or a superb accompaniment to a roast chicken dinner.
It’s the perfect dish to enjoy in the fall when apples are in season.
For more seasonal food, check out The Ultimate List of Autumn Recipes for the Fall Season! Right-click and open a new tab to read next.
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Apple Celery Salad
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
A homemade Maple-Dijon vinaigrette is lightly tossed with a crunchy mixture of fresh apples, celery, cranberries, and toasted pecans in this quick and simple salad.
The end result is a delightful blend of sweet and savoury flavours that is both refreshing and satisfying and can be eaten on its own or with your favourite entrées to make a full meal.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. Staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., aren’t always included here as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ALL ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Celery, Red Apples
- Dairy – Parmesan
- Dijon Mustard
- Pure Maple Syrup – buy the good, 100% stuff, anything less is just made up of flavorings and corn syrup.
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Dried Cranberries
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, that you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, liters, etc.,).
The images shown here feature Pink Lady apples. If they are unavailable in your area, consider using Fuji, Jazz, Gala, Honeycrisp, or even Golden Delicious apples instead as they offer a nice crunch and will not brown too quickly.
More Recipes Using Apples
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is apples, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Instant Pot Baked Brie and Apple Appetizer
- How to Make an Apple Butternut Squash Casserole for the Holidays
- Apple Walnut Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette
More Salads Recipes
Looking for more salads to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Fig and Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Orange Pomegranate Salad with Goat Cheese, Avocado & Pecans
- Roasted Artichoke Mozzarella Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- We used a salad shaker to make the vinaigrette, but you could also use a jar with a tight-fitting lid instead.
- To make the vinaigrette less sweet, add additional Dijon mustard.
- The flavors in this recipe will intensify with time, so you may want to prepare a double (or triple) batch.
- Storing Leftovers: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. However, be sure to toss the chopped apple with some fresh lemon juice before adding it to the salad to minimize browning.
How Do I Make Apple Celery Salad?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard*
- 2 T. real maple syrup
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- ¼ cup pecans, roughly chopped, divided
- 6 large celery stalks, sliced
- Celery leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 large red apple, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4oz (100g) Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Prepare the vinaigrette by adding all ingredients to a salad shaker or jar with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake vigorously to combine. Set aside.
- Add chopped pecans to a small dry pan set over medium heat. Heat for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until toasted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the celery, apples, celery leaves, cranberries, and three tablespoons of toasted pecans to a large salad bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette on top and toss to combine.
- To serve, divide the salad onto chilled salad plates and top with remaining toasted pecans and shaved Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- *For less sweet results, add 1-2 additional teaspoons of Dijon mustard
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the salad, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: Crispy Zucchini Fries with Marinara Sauce – A Tasty Gluten-Free Appetizer
- Soup: Instant Pot Garden Vegetable Soup
- Main Dish: Sheet Pan Lemon Chicken and Vegetables (An Easy Family Dinner)
- Side Dish: Simple Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Beverage: Caribbean Rum Punch With Three Kinds of Rum!
- Dessert: A Classic White Cake Recipe Perfect For Afternoon Tea
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.