Transport yourself to a sunny beach with our invigorating Mai Tai Cocktail Recipe. Sip on this tantalizing concoction and let the flavors whisk you away to a tropical oasis.
Don’t have time for this cocktail recipe now? Tap the share icon in the bottom right of the screen, then tap the heart icon ♥ to save it for later!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
While you may prefer to skip to the recipe card, we suggest reading the entire blog post to avoid missing valuable tips and substitution suggestions and to ensure you have the necessary ingredients, equipment, and understanding of the steps and timings.
Mai Tai Cocktail Recipe
When the sun is shining, it is the ideal time for sipping on one or two summer rum cocktails.
That makes it perfect for a Hawaiian Luau Party too!
The traditional recipe uses orgeat syrup, which is made from almonds.
However, we’ve put our own spin on the tropical drink, combining spiced rum, vanilla rum, and triple sec.
And the harmonious blend of cranberry juice, orange juice, and pineapple juice adds an extra burst of brightness to the cocktail.
As a result, each sip of this beverage captures the essence of summer.
So gather your pals, shake up some delicious Mai Tais, and let the flavors transport you to a beachside paradise!
Ingredients For Mai Tai Cocktail Recipe
For convenience, the required ingredients and equipment for this recipe are linked to online stores like Amazon or Amazon Fresh, if available.
- Spiced Rum
- Vanilla Rum
- Triple Sec – a clear, orange-flavored liqueur
- Cranberry Juice
- Orange Juice
- Pineapple Juice
- Maraschino Cherries
This cocktail is shaken, but don’t worry if you don’t have a cocktail shaker; you could just use a container with a tight-fitting lid – like a mason jar or even the cup on a blender or smoothie maker.
No time to read now? Tap the buttons below to save the cocktail to your Pinterest boards or Facebook page for later!
More Rum Cocktails To Make
If you love rum I think you’re going to love making these cocktails:
- Hocus Pocus Mary Sanderson Cocktail with Whiskey & Rum
- Campfire Cocktail with Fireball, Bourbon & Rum
- Captain Jack Sparrow Rum Cocktail with Rum & Blue Curaçao
- Lucifer Morningstar Cocktail With Rum, Red Wine & Ginger Beer
- Disney’s Jungle Cruise Cocktail with Rum, Tequila, and Fruit Juices
Cocktail Party Appetizers
If you want to serve some appetizers with your drinks, check out these recipes:
- Quick & Easy Tortellini & Chicken Skewers For Summer Dining
- Whipped Feta Dip with Black Olives and Cherry Tomatoes
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon
- Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers Recipe For A Crowd
- Garden Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Verde – A Dip for Tortilla Chips!
Mai Tai Variations
Here are some variations of the original cocktail recipe that you might like to try out.
Virgin Mai Tai (Non-Alcoholic)
So that non-drinkers can enjoy a Mai Tai, we simply remove the alcohol and replace it!
Following the recipe card, replace the alcohol as listed below:
- Instead of Spiced Rum, use Brown Sugar Syrup
- Instead of Vanilla Rum, use Vanilla Syrup
- Instead of Trip Sec, use Orange Syrup
I recommend adding the syrups to your taste as they may add a sweetness that you may not necessarily get from alcoholic liqueurs.
Mai Tai Mocktail (Non-Alcoholic Spirits)
For adults who would still like to enjoy the taste of alcohol in their mocktail, you could try non-alcoholic alternatives.
In the UK, try Lyre’s, which is also available on Amazon in the UK and Amazon.com.
Other brands include Strykk (UK) and Ritual (US & Canada). Non-alcoholic spirits are a growing trend, so be on the lookout in your local stores and online.
- Instead of Spice Rum, use Lyre’s Spiced Cane Spirit.
- Instead of Vanilla Rum, use Lyre’s White Cane Spirit or Strykk Not Vanilla Vodka.
- Instead of Triple Sec, use Lyre’s Orange Sec.
Follow the recipe card using the non-alcoholic alternatives listed above instead of the alcoholic ones.
Frozen Mai Tai Cocktail
Want to turn this cocktail into a frozen slushie? (You could do the same with the mocktail version too.)Here’s how!
Put all the ingredients in a blender with a generous amount of ice – then blend till smooth.
Serve with a straw, and watch out for brain freeze!
Big Batch Mai Tai Cocktail Recipe
Want to make a big batch of Mai Tai cocktails for a party or gathering? It’s so easy!
As long as you use the same measuring container (glass, cup, jug, etc.) for the “1 part”, the ratios will be correct, and you can make as much as you need to.
To make a big batch of Mai Tais, mix together:
- 2 parts Spiced Rum
- 2 parts Vanilla Rum
- 1 part Triple Sec
- 4 parts Cranberry Juice
- 2 parts Orange Juice
- 2 parts Pineapple Juice
Make sure to add plenty of ice to your serving container of choice to keep the cocktail chilled, and throw in some slices of lime and cocktail cherries too.
You could also skewer the fruit onto cocktail picks for guests to garnish their drinks.
Setting Up Your Cocktail Bar
When setting up your bar or cocktail serving area, you could include the following:
- Ice Bucket (filled with ice!)
- Cocktail Glasses
- Summer Cocktail Napkins
- Cocktail Swizzle Sticks/Stirrers
- Summer Cocktail Picks/Sticks
- Summer Cocktail Decorations
This cocktail recipe is intended for adults of the legal drinking age in your country of residence.
Please drink responsibly. Do not drink and drive.
How Do I Make Mai Tais?
You’ll find the printable cocktail recipe below. To save ink, any demonstration photos on the recipe card do not print.
- 2 oz Spiced Rum
- 2 oz Vanilla Rum
- 1 oz Triple Sec
- 4 oz Cranberry Juice
- 2 oz Orange Juice
- 2 oz Pineapple Juice
- Lime Slices
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- Maraschino Cherries
- Place the Spiced Rum, Vanilla Rum, Triple Sec, cranberry, orange, and pineapple juices into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake well for 15-30 seconds to combine.
- Pour into ice-filled glasses, and garnish as desired with slices of lime, mint leaves, and/or cherries. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 1g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Dinner Party Menu Suggestions!
The beverage is covered, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: Grilled Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Spears Appetizer
- Soup: Chilled Creamy Yellow Tomato and Pepper Soup
- Salad: Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Main Dish: Grilled Rosemary Lime-Marinated Chicken Breasts with Green Beans
- Side Dish: Comforting & Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes
- Dessert: Mexican Sweet Corn Cake with Cinnamon Churro Icing
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.