Summertime dinners call for light and refreshing meal ideas and these super quick and easy Tortellini and Chicken Skewers are a fab option. Attractive, fresh, and delicious you will need tortellini, chicken, tomatoes, olives, and Italian dressing. Yummy dinner coming up in just 35 minutes!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tortellini & Chicken Skewers
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Looking for an easy and affordable summer dish? These tortellini and chicken skewers are perfect!
You can save quite a bit of time preparing this delicious appetizer by using leftover grilled or rotisserie-cooked chicken breasts.
If this is not possible, use the easy Instant Pot® instructions outlined in the recipe card.
The tasty skewers are simple to make and use just a few simple ingredients. So give them a try – you won’t be disappointed!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. Staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., aren’t always included here as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ALL ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Grape/Cherry Tomatoes
- Protein – Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Special Equipment – 10-12” Wooden Skewers
- Italian Dressing
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Olives
- Refrigerated Tortellini
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps with Creamy Cilantro-Lime Sauce
- Quick & Easy Chicken in Peach Sauce with Rice
- Chicken Strawberry Salad with Feta and Pecans & Homemade Dressing
More Food on Skewers!
I love serving food on skewers at gatherings, and if you do too, check out these recipes next:
- Grilled Greek Chicken Skewers (Chicken Kebabs for BBQ Season!)
- Classic Caprese Skewers with Balsamic Glaze – An Easy Party Appetizer
- Grilled Pineapple and Swordfish Kebabs with Cilantro-Lime Rice
How Do I Make Tortellini & Chicken Skewers?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
For the Chicken*
- 16 oz (450g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp Italian dressing
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
!Remaining Skewer Ingredients
- 9 oz (250g) package refrigerated tortellini
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint (500g) large grape tomatoes, cut in half**
- 1 (6-oz/170g) can large black olives, drained
- ½ cup Italian dressing, divided
- 15 (10-12”) wooden skewers
- Place the chicken in a large freezer bag along with two tablespoons of Italian dressing. Seal tightly and turn each breast until coated on both sides. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Add the removable rack to the Instant Pot® cooking container and place the marinated breasts on top. Add water and sprinkle each breast with the garlic and onion powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add the lid and lock it into place. Position the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 8 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the tortellini according to package instructions. (Add olive oil to the cooking water as instructed on the package to prevent sticking). Rinse and drain well, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- When cook time is complete on the Instant Pot®, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Remove the lid and transfer the chicken to a non-permeable cutting board.
- .When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into one-inch cubes and transfer to the bowl with the tortellini.
- Add the olives and tomatoes to the bowl, along with two tablespoons of Italian dressing. Lightly season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Gently fold the ingredients with a spoon until thoroughly coated in the dressing.
- Using 10-12” wooden skewers, thread 1 black olive, 1 grape tomato half, 1 chicken cube, 1 tortellini, 1 chicken cube, 1 tortellini, 1 tomato half, and 1 black olive. Repeat this process until all skewers are complete.
Note: The order listed above is just a suggestion. It looks nice if you begin and end each skewer with the same ingredients, but your preferences may vary.
Tip: When finished assembling the skewers, toss any remaining ingredients in a medium bowl with a little Italian dressing to serve on the side.
- To serve, transfer the finished skewers to a platter and offer the remaining Italian dressing on the side. Enjoy!
- *Skip steps 1-3 if using leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken.
- **If using smaller cherry tomatoes, do not cut them in half.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the starter/appetizer or even the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: Cucumber Feta Watermelon Skewers Party Appetizer with Balsamic Glaze
- Soup: Loaded Cauliflower Leek Soup Recipe – Can Be Served Hot or Chilled!
- Salad: This Classic Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze is Perfect for Sharing!
- Main Dish: Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Linguine (35-Minute) Recipe
- Side Dish: Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
- Beverage: Lemon Herb Vodka Spritzer – A Herbaceous Cocktail for Summer
- Dessert: No-Churn Chocolate Toffee Ice Cream (With Homemade Chocolate Sauce)
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.