The Lucifer Morningstar Cocktail is the perfect adult-only refreshment at your Halloween gathering. The red drink is a twist on the classic Dark & Stormy cocktail and created by combining spiced rum, red wine, and ginger beer. It’s devilishly delicious!
For more delicious drinks, make sure you check out this List of 20+ Halloween Cocktails For Your Spooky Soirées & Parties!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Lucifer Morningstar Cocktail
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
If you’re in need of a spooky cocktail for your Halloween party, this Lucifer Morningstar cocktail is a good one to get in the spirit!
The cocktail is a Halloween twist on the classic rum cocktail, Dark & Stormy.
The mix of spices from ginger beer and dark rum gives the drink a seasonal taste, while red wine and silver shimmer dust provides the devilish red color and magic!
The post is part of the Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Halloween! You can check out Crafty October from 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 for tons of awesome Halloween ideas and inspiration!
Ingredients Used In This Cocktail
For your convenience, I’ve linked any specialized ingredients needed for this recipe to Amazon below.
- Spiced Rum
- Red Wine
- Vanilla Syrup
- Ginger Beer – a non-alcoholic carbonated beverage, despite its name! It was once an alcoholic drink, back in the 1800s, but modern ginger beer is not fermented, so it is classed as a soft drink. That said, there is Crabbie’s Alcoholic Ginger Beer available, which makes it clear that it contains alcohol. I mention all of this should you wish to make the mocktail version (see the cocktail alternatives in this post).
- Silver Cake Shimmer – this is an optional extra that adds a shimmery effect to the drink. AKA luster dust.
This cocktail is shaken, but don’t worry if you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you could just use a container with a tight-fitting lid – like a mason jar or even the cup on a blender or smoothie maker.
More Rum Cocktails To Make
Enjoy rum-based cocktails? I think you’re going to love these ones:
- Apple Cider Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- Disney’s Jungle Cruise Cocktail with Rum, Tequila, and Fruit Juices
- Hot Buttered Rum Recipe
Lucifer Morningstar Variations
I like to try and give variations on the cocktails shared on The Purple Pumpkin Blog, like how to turn the cocktail into a mocktail so that non-drinkers (and kids if suitable) can enjoy the drink too!
Virgin Lucifer Morningstar Mocktail (Non-Alcoholic)
So that non-drinkers can enjoy this devilish cocktail there are a few easy tweaks to make! First up, is to of course remove the alcohol, and then replace it.
I love the Monin brand of syrups as there are lots of flavors and they are a very versatile ingredient that can be used in cocktails, mocktails, coffee, cocoa, shakes, smoothies, and more.
You can mimic the spiced rum flavor using spiced brown sugar syrup, instead of red wine, use red grape juice, and ginger beer is non-alcoholic.
To make a Lucifer Morningstar Mocktail, follow the recipe card, but replace the alcoholic elements with the ingredients suggested above.
I haven’t made the mocktail version, so I recommend adding the syrups to taste as they may add a sweetness that you may not necessarily get from alcoholic liqueurs.
Non-drinking adults who still want the rum flavors could experiment with a non-alcoholic alternative:
- White Cane Spirit from Lyre’s – “This unique spirit has been impossibly crafted to capture the essence of a gently aged white rum with flavours that are distinct and contemporary.” Their website has international versions too, including the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Europe, so they’re worth checking out for non-alcoholic alternatives!
Want to turn this cocktail into a frozen slushie? Easy! Put all the ingredients in a blender with a generous amount of crushed ice – then blend till smooth. Serve with a straw, and watch out for brain freeze! You could do the same with the mocktail version too.
Lucifer Morningstar For a Crowd!
Want to make a big batch of this cocktail for a party or gathering? It’s so easy!
As long as you use the same measuring container (glass, cup, jug, etc.,) for the “1 part”, the ratios will be correct and you can make as much as you need to.
Make sure you add plenty of ice to your serving receptacle of choice to keep the cocktail chilled. Add some maraschino cherries in there too if you like or skewer the cherries onto cocktail picks for guests to garnish their drink.
When setting up your bar serving area, included cocktail glasses, small napkins, a filled ice bucket, stirrers, and themed cocktail decorations if suitable!
To make a big batch of Lucifer Morningstar Cocktail, mix together:
- 3 parts Spiced Rum
- 3 parts Red Wine
- ½ part Vanilla Syrup
- 4 parts Ginger Beer
- 1 tsp Silver Cake Shimmer/Lustre Dust – as much as needed
This cocktail recipe is intended for adults of the legal drinking age in your country of residence. Please drink responsibly. Do not drink and drive.
How Do I Make Lucifer Morningstar Cocktail?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, any pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- 1½ oz Spiced Rum
- 1½ oz Red Wine
- ¼ oz Vanilla Syrup
- 1 tsp Silver Cake Shimmer/Lustre Dust
- 2 oz Ginger Beer
- Maraschino Cherries
- Fill a glass with ice and add the spiced rum, red wine, vanilla syrup, and shimmer dust.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Top with ginger beer and gently stir again.
- Garnish with cherries if desired
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make It A Halloween Meal!
The beverage is covered, but what about other dishes to make this recipe into a full Halloween dinner party?
- Appetizer: How to Make the Ultimate Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Main Dish: Flavorful One-Pan Mediterranean Pork Chops
- Side Dish: Roasted Eggplant with Tahini Dressing & Pomegranate
- Dessert: Pumpkin Pie Crème Brûlée
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.