Try these grilled Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Spears for when you need an easy, tasty appetizer for your next dinner party.
They’re perfect for any occasion – from a small gathering of friends to a larger celebration.
They’re simple to make and absolutely delicious. So why not give them a try? You won’t be disappointed!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Spears
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Simple flavor combinations are often the most delicious, and that can definitely be said for these prosciutto-wrapped asparagus spears.
This elegant appetizer is very, very simple to make – it’s literally a case of wrapping slices of prosciutto around asparagus spears – that are then grilled under the broiler/grill.
Asparagus wrapped with prosciutto is a classic starter, and perfect for [holiday] dinner parties as you can assemble them in advance, and grill them when ready to serve.
This post is part of Create the Holidays – a series of festive recipes, crafts, printables, and more on The Purple Pumpkin Blog! Look at the previous years here: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012.
Ingredients Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. Staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., aren’t always included here as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ALL ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Fresh Produce – Asparagus Spears
- Protein – Prosciutto – a thinly sliced, dry-cured Italian ham
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, that you can mix cup measurements with weighted measures, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, liters, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Asparagus
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is asparagus, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- 15-Minute Grilled Marinated Asparagus with Italian Gremolata
- Instant Pot Creamy Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 25-Minute Orange-Glazed Salmon Recipe with Asparagus
More Appetizer Recipes
Looking for more appetizers to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Cheese-Stuffed Taco Meatballs Party Appetizer
- Savory Puff Pastry Bites with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- Spicy Chicken Satay Recipe with a Peanut Dipping Sauce
- If you can’t find thick asparagus spears and have to use thin ones, bundle a few spears together before wrapping so that the meat-to-vegetable ratio is more balanced.
- For best results, have your prosciutto sliced in your grocer’s meat department (vs. buying pre-sliced packages).
- This will give you greater control over the thickness of each slice.
- If your slices are too thick, they will not remain neatly wrapped around the asparagus spears and your appetizers will taste too salty.
- Request very thin slices that do not fall apart when you handle them.
How Do I Make Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Spears?
The printable recipe card below has the full ingredients list and instructions. Any demonstration photos on the card do not print out to save ink.
- 30 asparagus spears, washed and tough bottom ends removed
- 15 slices of prosciutto, sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the broiler/grill to high. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut each strip of prosciutto in half lengthwise. Wrap each trimmed asparagus spear with a strip of prosciutto, starting just below the tip and wrapping toward the bottom.
- Arrange the wrapped asparagus spears on the lined baking sheet, leaving plenty of room between the spears. Use a second pan or work in batches, if necessary.
- Brush each spear with olive oil and season with freshly cracked black pepper, to taste. (Avoid adding excess salt because the prosciutto is naturally salty).
- Place the baking pan with prepared spears under the broiler/grill and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully turn each spear before placing back under the broiler. Broil for another 2 or 3 minutes, or until the prosciutto is crispy and the asparagus is tender.
- Remove spears from the baking sheet and place them on a wire cooling rack placed over another baking sheet to allow excess grease to drain. Dab lightly with a paper towel, if desired.
- Transfer the grilled prosciutto-wrapped asparagus to a serving tray and serve them immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 39Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 384mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Recipes To Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the appetizer, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Soup: Hearty Minestrone Soup with Arugula
- Salad: Classic Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing & Croutons
- Main Dish: Braised Beef Burgundy Stew (Also Known as Beef Bourgignon)
- Side Dish: Creamy Instant Pot Rosemary Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Beverage: Cranberry Moscow Mule Cocktail for the Holidays
- Dessert: Instant Pot Chocolate Cheesecake (Gluten-Free Recipe)
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.
The Create the Holidays series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Christmas and the Winter Holidays!
You can check out Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) from 2023 | 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013, and 2012 for tons of awesome Holiday ideas and inspiration!