Surely mashed potatoes have to rank among the list of ultimate comfort foods?! These Instant Pot Creamy Mashed Red Potatoes are a taste sensation! Combine your red potatoes, garlic, and cream cheese and in 20 minutes you have the ideal side for virtually any entrée.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Okay, so this recipe is for Instant Pot mashed red potatoes, but there is absolutely no reason why you can’t just boil up some potatoes the old-fashioned way on the stovetop and turn them into the creamy, comforting mashed potatoes you see here. The only difference will be the length of time it takes.
Using an Instant Pot you’ll have mashed red potatoes on the table in less than 20 minutes – you don’t even have to peel the potatoes!
Instead of the usual butter and cream/milk, they are mashed with cream cheese and chicken broth, and yield such delicious mashed potatoes that you’ll wonder why you never made them this way before!
Mashed potatoes are a great side dish for a wide variety of mains including chicken, beef, and pork chops.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It does not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Red Potatoes, Garlic
- Dairy – Cream Cheese
- Chicken Broth/Stock
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Potatoes
The hero ingredient in this dish are potatoes, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Cuban Mojo Potatoes – A Delicious Side Dish with Chili, Garlic & Lime
- Greek-Style Lemon Potatoes
- Rustic Roasted Potatoes with Garlic, Rosemary & Lemon
More Instant Pot Recipes
Looking for more dishes to make in the Instant Pot? Check these recipes out next:
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs with Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Asparagus Soup Recipe
How Do I Make Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 2 lbs (900g) red potatoes, washed and cubed
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz (100g) cream cheese, cut into chunks
- Place potatoes, garlic, and broth in Instant Pot. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add the lid and flip pressure valve to the “Sealing” position. Select the “Manual” option and adjust the setting to “high.” Set cook time to 8 minutes. When finished, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Carefully open the lid and add cream cheese. Mash potato mixture with a potato masher or an immersion blender until blended, but not completely smooth.
- Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal
You’ve made the side dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Appetizer: Balsamic Mozzarella Stuffed Grape Tomatoes
- Soup: Chunky Vegetable Soup
- Salad: Roasted Fennel and Grapefruit Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Main Dish: Cast Iron Chicken Provençal with Tomatoes & Olives
- Beverage: Bourbon Apple Cider Maple Fizz Cocktail
- Dessert: Fall Harvest Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.