Are you ready to take your game day snacks to the next level? Look no further than these delicious Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings! In around 35 minutes, you can have perfectly cooked and juicy spicy wings that will have your friends and family asking for more.
Don’t have time for this recipe now? Be sure to tap the heart icon in the bottom right of the screen to save this post for later!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings
The whole ingredients list and instructions are in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
With just a few simple ingredients you’ll be able to throw together this crowd-pleasing dish in record time – just over 35 minutes!
Instant Pot® buffalo chicken wings are perfect for when unexpected guests show up or when you want a quick meal after being busy all day.
Nothing beats the convenience of an Instant Pot® for quick and easy buffalo chicken wings.
Once cooked, a quick trip under the broiler (grill) is all you need to get that nice crispy finish that you would normally get from deep-frying the wings.
What To Serve with Buffalo Wings
Serve buffalo wings as an appetizer the classic way with some celery sticks, carrot sticks, and blue cheese or ranch sauce for dipping.
Or turn them into a main meal with the addition of these sides:
- Sweet Potato Wedges
- Carolina Coleslaw
- Cucumber Salad
- Classic Caesar Salad
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Baked Avocado Fries
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Fresh Produce – Celery
- Protein – Chicken Wings
- Dairy – Unsalted Butter
- Store Cupboard – Salt, Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Frank’s Original Hot Sauce – or your preferred brand of hot sauce.
The complete list of ALL ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card at the end of this post.
No time to make this dish now? Use the button below to save to your Pinterest boards for later!
Equipment Needed For This Recipe
- Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 – this is the Instant Pot that I have.
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping/Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowls
- Aluminum Foil
- Large, Rimmed Baking Sheet with Wire Rack
- Kitchen Tongs
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use cups and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American US customary, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, that you can mix cup measurements with weighted measures, but never mix US customary/imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, liters, etc.,).
More Instant Pot Recipes
Here are some more recipes that are made in the Instant Pot:
- Instant Pot® Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Sesame Garlic Chicken Wings – A Great Game Day Appetizer
- Instant Pot Asian-Style Sticky Ribs Recipe
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Risotto in 30 Minutes
- How To Cook Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
How Do I Make Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings?
The printable recipe card has the full ingredients list and instructions and can be found at the end of this post.
Step 1 – Season & Cook: Season the chicken wings with garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Add to Instant Pot® on a trivet and add a cup of water. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and adjust the “Manual” setting to 8 minutes.
Step 2 – Make The Buffalo Sauce: While the wings cook, whisk the hot sauce, melted butter, and remaining garlic powder in a bowl and set it aside.
Step 3 – Release The Pressure: When the cooking time has ended, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining steam.
Carefully remove the lid and transfer the wings to a large bowl. Set aside until just cool enough to handle.
Step 4 – Prepare For Broiling (Grilling): Meanwhile, preheat the broiler (grill) to high. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire cooling rack on top. Set it aside.
Step 5 – Toss Wings in Sauce: Pour one-third of the buffalo sauce on top of the wings and toss to coat.
Step 6 – Broil (Grill) Chicken Wings: Transfer the wings to the prepared baking sheet and place under the broiler (grill) for 3-4 minutes or until the wings start to get crispy and develop some color. Turn the wings and repeat this process.
Step 7 – Toss Wings in Sauce Again: Remove the baking sheet from the broiler (grill) and toss the wings with half of the remaining buffalo sauce.
Step 8 – Serve Buffalo Chicken Wings: Serve immediately with celery and the remaining sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
More Appetizer Recipes
Looking for more appetizers to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Crispy Zucchini Fries with Marinara Sauce – Gluten-Free Appetizer
- 7 Layer Dip Cups – An Easy Tex-Mex Appetizer for Parties!
- Lemon-Pepper Baked Chicken Wings – An Awesome Game Day Appetizer!
- Spicy Chicken Satay Recipe with a Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Gluten-Free Baked Coconut Shrimp with Avocado-Lime Dip
- This recipe is written for fresh or thawed wings. If using frozen wings, add 3-4 minutes to the active cook time.
- You can save money by trimming your wings yourself. (See the photo below for the approximate location of where to cut each whole wing).
- They are a little easier to trim after they’ve been cooked.
- Immediately freeze the tips to make chicken stock, if desired.
Storing Leftovers & Freezing
- Storing Leftovers:
- Cool, transfer to an airtight container, and store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Ensure food is piping hot throughout when re-heating.
- Freezing Instructions:
- Cool completely and transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container or bag.
- If freezing in food bags, squeeze out as much air from the bags as possible.
- Place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Label with the name of the dish, thawing/reheating instructions, and the date to keep track of your food storage.
- To defrost the chicken wings place them in the fridge to thaw overnight (or at least 12 hours).
- Reheat until piping hot throughout and reaches an internal temperature of 70°C/165°F but this can differ depending on the cut.
- Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart for Cooking
- With all leftovers, make sure the food looks and smells okay before consuming.
- Consult the Food Standards Agency in your country for the most up-to-date advice on storing and freezing foods: Food Standards Agency (UK) | Food Safety (USA).
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe Card
The printable recipe card below has the full ingredients list and instructions. To save ink, any demonstration photos do not print.
- 4-4½ lbs (1.8-2kg) chicken wings
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water
- Sliced celery, for serving
For the Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 cup Frank’s Original Hot Sauce
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Sprinkle the wings with garlic powder and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place metal trivet inside Instant Pot® and add one cup of water. Arrange the seasoned wings on top of the trivet before securing the cover in place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and adjust the “Manual” setting to 8 minutes.
- While the wings cook, whisk Frank’s hot sauce, melted butter, and remaining garlic powder in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- When the cooking time has ended, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining steam. Carefully remove the lid and transfer the wings to a large bowl. Set aside until just cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler (grill) to high. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire cooling rack on top. Set it aside.
- Pour ⅓ of the buffalo sauce on top of the wings and toss to coat. Transfer the wings to the wire rack on the prepared baking sheet and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes or until the wings start to get crispy and develop some color. Turn the wings and repeat this process.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and toss the wings with half of the remaining buffalo sauce. Serve immediately with sliced celery and the remaining sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
This recipe is written for fresh or thawed wings. If using frozen wings, add 3-4 minutes to the active cook time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 4721Total Fat: 357gSaturated Fat: 132gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 195gCholesterol: 1178mgSodium: 5807mgCarbohydrates: 136gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 235g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Recipes To Make A Special Dinner
You’ve made the appetizer, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Soup: One-Pot Easy Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
- Salad: Iceberg Lettuce Wedge Salad with Bacon & Blue Cheese Dressing
- Main Dish: Seared Strip Steak with Sautéed Mushrooms
- Side Dish: 30-Minute Blackened Broccoli Recipe
- Beverage: Disney’s Fort Wilderness Gullywhumper Cocktail
- Dessert: Decadent Chocolate Walnut Brownies with Chocolate Frosting
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.