Prepare to wow your guests the next time you entertain, with these funky 7 Layer Dip Cups! The ultimate in Tex-Mex themed party food, they look great, taste even better, and are so quick and easy to make! It is a 10-minute recipe that features all your favourite 7 layer dip ingredients including guacamole, sour cream, refried beans, cheese, and olives.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
7 Layer Dip Cups
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
When throwing parties I love to serve individual cups of dips for guests to grab and go. This prevents people from double dipping, and it also makes socialising a lot easier as you can stand and hold a cup of dip and dunk in the chips as you chat.
These cups have 7 layers of dip, and it’s more of an assembly job than a recipe. With layers of refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes, cheese, black olives, and green onions, these cups are ready to serve in around 10 minutes.
I’ve included a recipe for homemade guacamole, but if you’re really pressed for time, you can use store-bought guacamole. You could even make your own refried beans if you wanted to, but we opened up a can of ’em for the dip.
If you want to just have one big bowl of dip instead, just follow the recipe and layer up into a serving dish and you’re good to go!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It does not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, and pepper, as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen already. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Avocados, Garlic, Limes, Cherry Tomatoes, Green Onions (Spring Onions/Scallions)
- Dairy – Sour Cream, Mexican Cheese,
- Chili Powder – use mild or hot depending on your personal tastes and spicy heat preference!
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Refried Beans – you can buy them canned or even make your own with our recipe for Easy Refried Beans
- Black Olives
- Tortilla Chips – use your flavor of choice. Pictured are blue tortilla chips.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Appetizer Recipes
Here are some more appetizer recipes to try:
More Tex-Mex Recipes
Looking for more Tex-Mex dishes to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Quick & Easy Beef Taco Salad for Taco Tuesday!
- Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Skillet – A One-Pan Recipe
- Cast Iron Carne Asada Bowl
- As written, this recipe yields 12 individual servings. To scale this recipe, use approximately two tablespoons each of refried beans, guacamole, and sour cream per 5-oz. appetizer cup. Then top each cup with chopped 3-4 cherry or grape tomatoes, one tablespoon cheese, 3-4 chopped black olives, and a few green onion slices.
How Do I Make 7 Layer Dip Cups?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
For the Guacamole
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ c. sour cream
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. garlic powder
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ c. refried beans
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 c. 4-cheese Mexican blend, finely shredded
- 1 15-oz. can black olives, drained and chopped small
- 3 large green onions, green parts only, sliced thin
- Tortilla chips, to serve
- Slice the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon into a large bowl. Add garlic and lime juice, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Mash with a fork until thoroughly blended and smooth. Cover tightly and set aside
- Add the sour cream, chili powder, ground cumin, and garlic powder to a bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- To assemble, add approximately two tablespoons refried beans to the bottom of each cup with a small spoon, followed by a layer of guacamole and the seasoned sour cream (two tablespoons each), in each cup.
- Finish each cup with a layer of chopped tomatoes (roughly 3-4 per cup), followed by one tablespoon finely shredded Mexican cheese blend, 3-4 chopped black olives, and a few green onion slices.
- Garnish each cup with a gluten-free blue tortilla chip, if desired, and serve immediately with additional tortilla chips on the side. Enjoy!
As written, this recipe yields 12 individual servings. To scale this recipe, use approximately two tablespoons each of refried beans, guacamole, and sour cream per 5-oz. appetizer cup. Then top each cup with chopped 3-4 cherry or grape tomatoes, one tablespoon cheese, 3-4 chopped black olives, and a few green onion slices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 508mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal
While this recipe is for individual cups to serve at a party, you could make a bowl of dip to share at the start of a Tex-Mex fiesta dinner! But what about the rest of the course?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Soup: Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
- Salad: Mexican Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Main Dish: Mexican Shredded Beef in the Slow Cooker
- Side Dish: Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Beverage: Texas Margaritas with Raspberry Liqueur & Jalapeños!
- Dessert: Mango Lime Frozen Yogurt
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.