This easy Wedge Salad is loaded with avocado, bacon, and eggs and dressed with homemade blue cheese dressing. The salad is a great low carb dish eaten on the side, or as a light meal in itself.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
Wedge salad is a classic accompaniment to steak, but it is equally good as a light meal on its own. You could even serve it as a starter before a main meal.
In case you don’t know of this salad, it is basically a wedge of iceberg lettuce (one-quarter head) that is topped with a blue cheese dressing, and other toppings such as crumbled bacon.
It’s the sort of salad you can easily customise to your personal tastes. I am personally not a fan of blue cheese anything, so prefer to use other dressings like ranch or Caesar.
But wanting to keep things classic with this recipe, a homemade blue cheese dressing covers the lettuce wedge, and is topped with chopped boiled eggs, avocado, bacon and celery.
Our version is nearly a Cobb Salad in wedge form! Throw on some chopped tomatoes and cooked chicken and you will have exactly that!
I’ve included other topping suggestions in the tips section further down this post.
Oh, and if you’re wondering how on earth you eat a salad like this – it’s not hard – just cut the lettuce down with a knife and enjoy!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
For your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The full list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Avocado Mayonnaise – or you could use regular mayonnaise if you prefer.
- Garlic Salt
- Half & Half – single cream is a good substitute.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog! I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Bacon
One of the hero ingredients in this recipe is bacon, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts Party Appetizer with Spicy Mustard Dip
- Low Carb Bacon Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Casserole with Bacon
More Salad Recipes
Looking for more salad inspo? Check these recipes out next:
- Asian Cabbage Salad with Warm Spicy Peanut Dressing
- Roasted Artichoke Mozzarella Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Loaded Broccoli and Bacon Salad
- For best results, prepare the homemade blue cheese dressing the night before to give the flavors a chance to blend.
Wedge Salad Toppings
Remember to crumble or cut the toppings up into small pieces so they sit on top of the wedge.
- Garlic Mayonnaise & Grana Padano
- Blue Cheese Dressing & Crumbled Stilton
- Honey Mustard & Bacon
- Caesar Dressing & Croutons
- Ranch Dressing, Prosciutto, & Tomatoes
- Garlic Mayonnaise, Bacon, & Tomatoes
How Do I Make a Wedge Salad?
Just check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 T. avocado mayonnaise
- 2 oz. blue cheese, crumbles
- 2 T. Greek yogurt
- 2 T. full fat sour cream
- 1 t. garlic salt
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 T. half & half (optional)
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, cut into 6 wedges
- 2 large avocados, diced
- 3 strips sugar-free bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
To make the blue cheese dressing, combine the avocado mayonnaise, blue cheese, Greek yogurt, sour cream, and garlic salt in a medium glass or other non-reactive bowl. Stir enough half & half into the blue cheese mixture to reach the desired consistency. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2.When ready to serve, place each wedge of iceberg lettuce onto individual chilled serving plates. Drizzle each wedge with some homemade blue cheese dressing, and then top each with an equal amount of avocado, crumbled bacon, chopped hard-boiled eggs, and chopped celery. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Make It A Meal!
This salad would work as an appetizer-starter, side or main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal! (Not all may be low carb)
- Appetizer: Lemon-Pepper Baked Chicken Wings
- Main Dish: One-Pan Lemon & Rosemary Chicken Thighs
- Side Dish: Roasted Apple Cauliflower Mash with Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- Beverage: Grapefruit Screwdriver Cocktail
- Dessert: Mini Berry Pavlovas
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!