Curb your cravings for deep-fried potatoes or other salty snacks with these delicious and crispy Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges. The refreshing herbed coconut yogurt dip is the perfect accompaniment to the spicy seasonings in this recipe which include curry powder, cumin, cayenne.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
Sweet potatoes are often said to be healthier than white potatoes, but that’s just one of those diet myths we’ve all be suckered into believing!
Both potatoes are comparable in their calorie, protein, and carb content, but white potatoes provide more potassium, and sweet potatoes are incredibly high in vitamin A.
Sweet potatoes are naturally a little sweeter, and make a nice change from the regular kind. We enjoy them roasted, mashed, baked, and as wedges like in this recipe!
These spicy sweet potato wedges with a herbed coconut yogurt dip make a great appetizer before a meal or on the buffet at a party. Or serve without the dip as a side dish with chicken
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Sweet Potatoes, Lemons, Dill, Parsley
- Coconut Oil
- Ground Cumin
- Curry Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne Pepper
- Ground Cinnamon
- Coconut Yogurt – or use Natural or Greek Yogurt if you prefer.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Sweet Potatoes
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is sweet potatoes, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Baked Sweet Potato Frittata
- Sheet Pan Balsamic Chicken Breasts with Sweet Potato & Broccoli
- Sweet Potato & Halloumi Burgers
More Side Dish Recipes
Looking for more side dish inspo? Check these recipes out next:
- Garlic and Chive Cauliflower Mash – A Low Carb Side Dish
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes – A Quick & Tasty Side Dish
- Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Casserole with Bacon
- For crispier sweet potato wedges, do not salt them until they are done roasting.
- For even more flavor, mix up the herbed yogurt dip the night before to give the flavors more time to combine and develop.
How Do I Make Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges?
Just check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into wedges
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the melted coconut oil and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, curry powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the sweet potato wedges and toss until all wedges are lightly coated.
- Arrange the sweet potato wedges on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. For crispier wedges, do not overcrowd.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for 30-35 minutes until the sweet potatoes are golden brown and crispy around the edges. Flip once halfway through the cooking process to brown both sides.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, mix the coconut yogurt with lemon juice, dill, and parsley in a small bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Once browned, remove the sweet potato wedges from the oven and sprinkle generously with salt. Let cool slightly before serving with the herbed coconut yogurt dip. Enjoy!
For crispier sweet potato wedges, do not salt them until they are done roasting.
Make It A Meal!
These wedges would work great as a side dish, or even as a starter appetizer. But what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Main Dish: Garlic-Herb Roasted Whole Chicken
- Side Vegetable: Simple Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Beverage: Pink Grapefruit Martini Cocktail (with Vodka or Gin)
- Dessert: Coconut Pineapple Cupcakes with Rum
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!