With these Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs your family will be rewarded after a long winter day with delicious aromas and stunning flavors. Serve the ribs up with mashed potatoes and carrots for a comforting, filling meal.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Short ribs are a cut of beef taken from the brisket, chuck, plate, or rib areas of beef cattle. They consist of a short portion of the rib bone, which is overlain by meat which varies in thickness.Wikipedia
Short ribs generally require long periods of cooking in order to break down the connective tissues in the meat and make the meat tender. Methods of preparation include braising, stewing, and sous-vide.
Typically, short ribs take a long time to cook, however, thanks to the power of pressure cooking, this Instant Pot recipe cooks in just over an hour.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It may not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Protein – Beef Short Ribs
- Fresh Produce – Onion, Carrots, Garlic, Rosemary, Thyme
- Beef Broth/Stock
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Dry Red Wine – use a wine you enjoy drinking
- Honey – try to buy locally produced honey when possible
- Bay Leaves
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Beef
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is beef, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Rosemary Garlic Beef Tenderloin Recipe for the Holidays
- Quick & Easy Beef Taco Salad for Taco Tuesday!
- Braised Beef Burgundy Stew (Also Known as Beef Bourgignon)
More Instant Pot Recipes
Looking for more dishes to make in your Instant Pot. Check these recipes out next:
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders with Coleslaw
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs with Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas Bowls
How Do I Make Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 3½ - 4 lbs (1.5 - 1.8kg) beef short ribs
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced into chunks
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup beef broth/stock
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Remove the short ribs from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but not more than 2 hours, before cooking. Season generously with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot and add one tablespoon of olive oil once hot. Add the seasoned short ribs and sear on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. (Work in batches, if necessary, adding more olive oil as required). Transfer seared ribs to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil, yellow onion, and carrots to the Instant Pot. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables become golden brown. Add garlic and sauté for another 60 seconds.
- Pour in broth, balsamic vinegar, red wine, and honey. Stir to combine, gently scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon in the process. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes before turning the unit off.
- Return the seared short ribs to the pot and add bay leaves and fresh herbs. Add the lid and lock it into place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 45 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure, if necessary.
- Remove lid and discard the bay leaves and woody stems from the rosemary and thyme. Carefully transfer short ribs and carrots to a serving platter and cover to keep warm. Set aside.
- With an immersion blender, blend the pan sauces until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Serve short ribs and carrots immediately over a bed of mashed potatoes or cauliflower. Drizzle with some of the sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 131mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 16g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party!
- Appetizer: Instant Pot Baked Brie and Apple Appetizer
- Soup: Hearty Minestrone Soup with Arugula
- Salad: Peach Blackberry Salad with Blackberry-Basil Vinaigrette
- Side Dish: Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes – A Quick & Tasty Side Dish
- Beverage: Texas Margaritas with Raspberry Liqueur & Jalapeños!
- Dessert: Pumpkin Mocha Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spice Frosting
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.