Watermelon Bites are a perfect Summer appetizer made with juicy watermelon, creamy cream cheese, and feta. They taste simply divine and are so easy to make. What really sets this appetizer apart from others is that it has a finishing touch of balsamic glaze and chopped pistachios to take the flavor to the next level. Your guests are going to love them!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
With its juicy red flesh that tastes oh so sweet, watermelon, for me is the quintessential summer fruit.
I think it must be the childhood memories of biting into wedges of watermelon on the beach in Cyprus! Food and childhood memories seem to go hand in hand don’t they?
I feel like I’ve shared a lot of recipes using watermelon recently – it’s actually a really versatile ingredient that can be used in drinks, salads, appetizers, desserts, and even cooked on the grill!
These watermelon bites are a tasty appetizer that pairs the sweetness of fruit with salty feta (which has been whipped with cream cheese) and the tang of a balsamic glaze. Chopped pistachios are sprinkled over for a delightful crunch.
A fab dish that is perfect as a starter at a dinner party, or as an appetizer at parties!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
To make this recipe you will need fresh ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen including INGREDIENTS.
For your convenience, any specialized ingredients needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon below. The full list with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Write about the ingredients used.
This recipe uses American cups. They’re a handy piece of kitchen equipment to have along with a kitchen food scale. Having both in your kitchen means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog as I use both cups and weighted measures.
More Recipes Using Watermelon
One of the hero ingredients in this recipe is watermelon, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Cucumber Feta Watermelon Skewers Party Appetizer with Balsamic Glaze
- Frozen Watermelon Slush Mocktail or Spike It With Booze!
- Watermelon Moscato Slushie Cocktail – Perfect for Sunny Summer Days!
More Party Appetizer Recipes
Want more party appetizer inspo? Check these recipes out next:
- Black Bean Salsa Cups Appetizer
- Cheese-Stuffed Taco Meatballs Party Appetizer
- Feta Cucumber Cups Appetizer for Summer Parties
How Do I Make Watermelon Bites?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, instructions, and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- 8 oz / 225g cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz / 225g feta, crumbled
- 3 Tbsp half & half (single cream)
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- Fresh seedless watermelon, cut 24 1” squares approximately ⅓” thick
- 12 fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- ⅓ cup pistachios, chopped
- Place the cream cheese, feta, and half & half (single cream) in a large mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer or immersion blender until mixture is light and fluffy. Set aside.
- To make the balsamic glaze, heat the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally, and cook until the liquid is reduced by half and starts to cling to the back of a spoon. Reduce heat to low and keep warm until ready to use.
- Using a spoon, drizzle some of the balsamic glaze onto a serving platter and carefully arrange half of the watermelon squares on top.
- Transfer some of the whipped feta mixture to a large piping bag fitted with a large round or star tip (or use a plastic sandwich bag with one of the bottom corners snipped off).
- Pipe the whipped feta onto each watermelon square on the platter and top each with some fresh basil. Refill the piping or plastic bag as necessary.
- Place another slice of watermelon on top of the basil and gently press down to secure.
- Top each appetizer with some of the remaining whipped feta and chopped pistachios.
- You could use cocktail skewers or wooden toothpicks to secure the appetizers together if you like.
- Serve immediately garnished with small sprigs of fresh basil and a light drizzle of the remaining balsamic glaze, if desired. Enjoy!
You can substitute the basil for fresh mint in this recipe if you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 636Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 514mgCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 5gSugar: 77gProtein: 16g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the appetizer/starter, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Main Dish: Chicken Parmigiana & Spaghetti Bake
- Side Dish: Roasted Artichoke Mozzarella Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Beverage: Fresh Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade – Summer Mocktail or Cocktail Mixer!
- Dessert: Tiramisu – With A Twist!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!