This recipe for Chicken Parmigiana & Spaghetti Bake is a Slimming World Friendly version of a classic Italian-American dish. It’s a super simple meal to make and ready to eat in less than an hour. This lower-fat chicken parm is great for those watching their calories and with just half a Syn per serving, it’s perfect if you are Food Optimising too!
I’ve got lots of great Slimming World Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one.
Chicken Parmigiana & Spaghetti Bake
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
Chicken Parmigiana (also known as Chicken Parm or Chicken Parmesan) is an Italian-American dish that I first tried on a Walt Disney World vacation. And it was oh so good!
The only problem is, when you’re on Slimming World and trying to lose weight, chicken parm is not the best of options. The original version has breaded chicken breast, which is often fried, then smothered in melted cheese and tomato sauce and served with pasta.
However, this SW friendly version doesn’t use breading on the chicken, uses a tiny amount of grated parmesan, and the dish is baked to reduce the fat.
If you’re after authentic chicken parm this isn’t a recipe for you, but if you want a healthier version, give this one a try!
I am a cheese fiend! I love ooey-gooey-melty cheese, so I do miss that in this dish, but the flavor of the dish as a whole is good – especially as it uses rosemary which is one of my favorite herbs.
With just half a Syn per portion, you could add some cheese and either take it from you Healthy Extra option, or count the Syns.
This is a great dish to cook for the whole family, serve it with a mixed-leaf salad on the side with some fat-free vinaigrette.
This recipe for Chicken Parmigiana & Spaghetti Bake serves 4 and has ½ Syns per serving when Food Optimising.
Slimming World Food Diary Printable
If you follow Slimming World, you will know that one of the crucial things to your success is keeping a Slimming World Food Diary.
I’ve got a free printable Slimming World Food Diary & Meal Planner here which now includes a diary for Extra Easy SP.
How Do I Make Slimming World Chicken Parmigiana?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, any pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g dried spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp dried mixed Italian herbs
- 3 tsp dried rosemary, divided
- 500g passata
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 200g tomatoes, diced
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 level Tbsp grated fresh Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed-leaf salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray and add the onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes then add a mugful of water. Cook for 10 minutes or until everything has softened. Add extra water if needed.
- Meanwhile, break the spaghetti in half and cook according to the package instructions. Drain well and return to the pan.
- Place the tomato purée, Italian herbs, 1 teaspoon of rosemary, passata, and balsamic vinegar into the vegetable mixture. Stir and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture to the pan of spaghetti along with the diced tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the spaghetti and sauce to a large baking dish.
- Spray the chicken breasts with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the parmesan, the other 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on top of the spaghetti and bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve 1 chicken breast per person with spaghetti and salad.
- Slimming World Syns per serving: ½ Syn when Food Optimising.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 218mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 43g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
More Slimming World Friendly Recipes
Want a few Slimming World recipes to try next? Here are some of our favourites:
- Mexican Pork Stew with Black Beans & Vegetables
- Southern Indian Keralan Chicken Curry – A Spicy Sweet Curry
- Indian Keema Matar Pie with Bombay Potato Topping
About Slimming World
Slimming World’s Food Optimising plan is a healthy, flexible approach, based on everyday foods, to help people lose weight without ever going hungry. It’s a practical, family-friendly plan that fits easily into everyday life and doesn’t require complex weighing and measuring or obsessive calorie counting. – Slimming World
Disclosure: I am not affiliated with Slimming World in any way other than being a member and following their Food Optimising plan. This recipe may have been adapted from a Slimming World magazine or book. If you are reading this blog post or printing this recipe the chances are you already follow SW and know all the ins-and-outs of how it works. Please check with your consultant, in your member pack, or online at Slimming World’s website for full and up-to-date details about the plan as it may be updated from time to time in line with the latest nutritional information. I am not a doctor or dietician, or providing medical advice and hold no responsibility for the complete accuracy of calorie counts and nutritional information. And where applicable, Syns in Slimming World friendly recipes. I advise you to check your own resources if you are using recipes to lose weight. All weight-loss programs should be followed on advice from a doctor.