These Jalapeño Popper Mummies are a quick and easy appetizer to make for Halloween. Make a plateful of these spooky finger foods for a Halloween party, or serve them up as a cute starter at a Halloween dinner party!
This post is part of the Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog – a celebration of everything Halloween and Autumn. Now in its 8th year, the 2019 series is bigger and better, running from September 1st, all the way through All Hallows’ Eve on October 31st!
I have included links to some useful cooking products in this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a small commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jalapeño Popper Mummies
I know I’ve shared a lot of sweet Halloween treats recently, but it’s time to break out a savory snack. Transform regular old jalapeño poppers into a great party food for Halloween, by wrapping them in strips of pastry and turning them into mummies!
Ingredients used in this recipe
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post, but here is a brief outline so you know what to expect from the recipe. I highly recommend always reading a recipe all the way through before starting.
- Jalapeño Peppers
- Pizza Dough or Puff Pastry
- Cream Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Chili Powder
- Candy Eyeballs
Equipment used in this recipe
You are likely to have many of these cooking tools in your kitchen already, but I’ve added some Amazon links for your convenience should you need to purchase anything for this recipe.
I would love if you shared this on Pinterest – just use the button below. Your shares are how The Purple Pumpkin Blog grows and I am sincerely grateful every time you share something ♥ You are welcome to follow me on Pinterest too where I share tons of great ideas and inspiration!
Tips for Making Jalapeño Popper Mummies
- Handling chili peppers can be painful if you’re not careful! And by that I mean it’s easy to forget you’ve been cutting them and then you go to rub your eye and … ouch! To prevent accidental post-chili handling mishaps wear food gloves when you halve and deseed the jalapeños.
- If you should so happen to have a grapefruit spoon in your kitchen use that to scoop out the seeds and membrane from inside the chilies. If you don’t have one, a regular spoon will be fine!
- This recipe uses cream cheese, Mozzarella, and Cheddar, and has a kick from some chili powder. You could use Pepperjack or other combinations of cheese if you like.
- Don’t overfill the chili halves.
- Use a pizza cutter to easily and quickly cut the pastry into strips. If you don’t have one, you can, of course, use a sharp knife.
- When wrapping the dough around the peppers to create the mummy bandages, make sure you leave a gap at the top to place the candy eyes (after cooking).
- Bake on a wire rack over a baking sheet so that the dough bakes all the way around.
- Press the candy eyes into the melted cheese after a few minutes out of the oven so that they stick.
More Mummy Recipes for Halloween
I seem to like making foods that look like mummies for Halloween! Here are some more fab recipes for you to try.
Make It A Halloween Meal!
You’ve made the appetizer, but what about the rest of the courses? Here are some recipes to take a look at to make a complete meal!
- Main Dish: Toxic Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- Side Dish: Chilli Cornbread Muffins
- Beverage: Zombie Apocalypse Cocktail
- Dessert: Cute Bat Cupcakes
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.
More Recipes Using Chilies
If you love chilies, try one of these recipes:
- 6 large jalapeño peppers
- 2 oz/55 g cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package refrigerated pizza dough or puff pastry
- Candy eyeballs
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Slice each of the jalapeño peppers in half lengthwise.
- Hollow out the inside of the pepper halves with a spoon, making sure to remove all of the seeds and membranes.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, chili powder as well as salt and pepper to taste. Mix until completely combined.
- Fill each of the pepper halves with the cheese mixture. Do not overfill.
- Unroll the pizza dough or pastry and using a pizza cutter cut into thin strips.
- Wrap the dough strips in a criss-cross design around the stuffed jalapeno peppers. Leave an open space near the top for the eyes to go once the poppers are baked.
- Bake the wrapped peppers on a rack on a baking sheet for 12-15 minutes until the dough is golden brown and cooked through.
- Let the peppers cool for a few minutes, and then insert two candy eyes into the front of each pepper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 190mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g
The Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Halloween and Fall! You can check out Crafty October from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 for tons of awesome Halloween ideas and inspiration!