There are some meals that often feature in our dinner rotation at home. One of them is chilli and rice, as it’s one of those quick and easy to make recipes, and can be as spicy as you dare! It is also one that is open to interpretation (at least for me it is!) I usually make chilli with beef mince, sometimes I make it vegetarian using a mixture of beans, and on this occasion I made it with chicken.
I made this simple chicken chilli during my first meal prep session. I have been taking steps to make meal prep part of my routine, to help me track of my calories, and ultimately, for some weight loss. This recipe made enough for 5 portions – I stored 3 portions in the fridge to heat up for dinner in the week, and froze the the other two later in the month.
Simple Chicken Chilli
I try to always bulk out these kinds of dishes with extra vegetables. I added chopped mushrooms, and green bell peppers to this chilli. My bean of choice was kidney beans, but you could use any kind of bean really. I quite like black beans in a chilli. I used a jar of Dolmio Sauce for Bolognese Intense Spicy Chilli, as I had it in the store cupboard (along with a lot of other jars, and packet mixes which I plan to use up during meal prep sessions!). To give it more of a kick I added some chopped fresh red chillies.
I cooked off the veggies first, and then pushed them to one side in the pan to get the chicken browned off. I then added the beans and chilli peppers, before stirring in the sauce. Everything was brought to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until the chicken was cooked through.
My original plan was to serve the chicken chilli with jacket potatoes – to make a change from rice. I cooked the potatoes, wrapped in foil, in the oven for about an hour until soft all the way through. Allowed to cool, and popped them in the fridge. I would then reheat them on chilli night. But I completely forgot, and cooked rice anyway… We added toppings to our individual chilli bowls – I had a dollop of 0% Greek yoghurt, a sprinkling of grated cheese, and a few chopped spring onions and chilli peppers.
As for those jacket potatoes – they didn’t go to waste. I turned them into Loaded Jacket Potatoes with bacon and cheese, later in the week. Recipe to follow!
Find more recipes here: Easy Meal Prep for Beginners
- low calorie oil spray
- 150g onion, finely chopped
- 160g mushroom, finely chopped
- 200g green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 450g corn fed free range skinless chicken breast, chopped into bitesize pieces
- 240g kidney beans, cooked, and drained
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 750g jar Dolmio Sauce for Bolognese Intense Spicy Chilli
- Spray some oil into a large saucepan, and add the onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper. Cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes to soften. You can add some water to prevent sticking.
- Push the vegetables to one side, and spray some more oil. Add the chicken, and turn to cook, eventually stirring into the rest of the mixture.
- Add the kidney beans and chilli pepper, and mix well.
- Stir in the sauce, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice or a jacket potato, and add optional toppings of 0% Greek yoghurt, cheese, sliced chilli peppers, and spring onions.*
Please feel free to share this post by using the social buttons to the right, or bottom of this post, and don’t forget that you can subscribe to The Purple Pumpkin Blog by email, on Feedly or by RSS so you don’t miss out!
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!