Do you love the Hocus Pocus movies? If so, you’re going to love this Winnie Sanderson cocktail recipe.
It’s a mix of Midori and two kinds of rum and tastes glorious!
It’s perfect for Halloween parties, cocktail parties, and movie nights!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Winnie Sanderson Cocktail
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
It’s nearly Halloween, and it’s time to break out the themed cocktails!
For your deliberation, is the Winnie Sanderson cocktail made with Midori, two kinds of rum, and a margarita mix.
It’s just one of 20+ Halloween Cocktails For Spooky Soirées & Parties that I have on The Purple Pumpkin Blog, and perfect for Hocus Pocus movie nights too!
The post is part of the Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog and is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Halloween! You can check out Crafty October from 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 for tons of awesome Halloween ideas and inspiration!
Ingredients Used In This Cocktail
For your convenience, I’ve linked any specialized ingredients needed for this recipe to Amazon below.
- Midori – a green, melon-flavored liqueur
- Captain Morgan Tropical Rum – in the UK this is called Captain Morgan Tiki Rum, or use any type of tropical-flavored rum
- Captain Morgan Spiced Rum – or your preferred brand
- Margarita Mix – a non-alcoholic, sweet and sour cocktail mixer
- Maraschino Cherries – for garnish, along with mint leaves.
- Dry Ice Chips – this is an optional extra to add a spooky smoke effect to your cocktails. If you’ve never used dry ice before, please read the info about it below to ensure you use it safely. In the US you may find dry ice in grocery stores like Walmart. In the UK, there are online retailers, like chillstick.com
This cocktail is shaken, but don’t worry if you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you could just use a container with a tight-fitting lid – like a mason jar or even the cup on a blender or smoothie maker.
Using Dry Ice in Cocktails
- Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide (CO2) with a surface temperature of -109°F/-78.5°C.
- Never touch dry ice directly as it can burn skin similar to frostbite.
- Do not swallow dry ice – it can burn GI tissue.
- Dry ice skips the liquid part of melting completely and instead turns to gas (the smoky effect!) immediately when placed in a cocktail (or other drink).
- Ensure that you buy food-grade dry ice.
- Food grade means that it uses the same CO2 that is used in soda fountains.
- Do not store it in the fridge or freezer.
- Do not store in a sealed container. Dry ice is CO2 which can build up and explode!
- Keep it in the container it was supplied in and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Dry ice is safe for use in cocktails and drinks.
- You only need a small piece (1″/2.5cm) to give a nice smoking effect.
- Use gloves and tongs during handling.
- Dry ice will settle at the bottom of a drink and doesn’t harm the drink in any way.
- The bubbling smoky effect will happen as soon as you add the dry ice, so get ready with your camera!
- The effect will last for around 10 minutes but will be at its best in the first 3-5 minutes.
- Once the smoke has gone, the dry ice will have evaporated.
- Always read the dry ice suppliers’ FAQs/Safety Tips when you purchase dry ice, such as this one from Eskimo Ice.
More Hocus Pocus Cocktails To Make
Want to make more cocktails for your Hocus Pocus Movie Night? Here they are!
Cocktail Party Appetizers
If you want to serve some appetizers with your drinks, check out these recipes:
- Air Fryer Mummy Meatballs with Marinara Sauce – Halloween Appetizer!
- Jalapeño Popper Mummies Recipe
- Quick & Easy Spicy Salsa Recipe
Halloween Cocktail Glasses on Amazon
Winnie Sanderson Cocktail Variations
I like to try and give variations on the cocktails shared on The Purple Pumpkin Blog, like how to turn the cocktail into a mocktail so that non-drinkers (and kids if suitable) can enjoy the drink too!
Virgin Winnie Sanderson Mocktail (Non-Alcoholic)
So that non-drinkers can enjoy a glass of Winnie Sanderson we simply remove the alcohol and replace it.
Follow the recipe card, but substitute the listed liquors for the syrups below
I love the Monin brand of syrups as there are lots of flavors and they are a very versatile ingredient that can be used in cocktails, mocktails, coffee, cocoa, shakes, smoothies, and more.
I haven’t made the mocktail version, so I recommend adding the syrups to taste as they may add a sweetness that you may not necessarily get from alcoholic liqueurs.
For adults who would still like to enjoy the taste of alcohol in their mocktail, you could try non-alcoholic rum alternatives. In the UK, try Lyre’s, which is also available on Amazon in the UK and Amazon.com. There are other brands, but this one was more widely available.
- Instead of spiced rum use Lyre’s Spice and add melon syrup as above.
Simply use the non-alcoholic alternatives instead of the alcoholic ones in the recipe card.
Frozen Winnie Sanderson Cocktail
Want to turn this Hocus Pocus cocktail into a frozen slushie? Easy! Put all the ingredients in a blender with a generous amount of ice – then blend till smooth. Serve with a straw, and watch out for brain freeze! You could do the same with the mocktail version too.
Winnie Sanderson Cocktail For a Crowd!
Want to make a big batch of this magical drink for a party or gathering? It’s so easy!
As long as you use the same measuring container (glass, cup, jug, etc.,) for the “1 part”, the ratios will be correct and you can make as much as you need to.
To make a big batch of this cocktail, mix together:
- 1 part Midori
- 1 part Captain Morgan Tropical Rum
- 1 part Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- 5 parts Margarita Mix
Make sure you add plenty of ice to your serving container of choice to keep the cocktail chilled. And you can add some fruit garnish in there too such as cocktail cherries and melon balls.
Or why not skewer the fruit onto cocktail picks for guests to garnish their drink?
When setting up your bar serving area, you could include:
- Ice Bucket (filled with ice!)
- Cocktail Glasses
- Cocktail Napkins
- Cocktail Swizzle Sticks/Stirrers
- Cocktail Picks
- Cocktail Straws
This cocktail recipe is intended for adults of the legal drinking age in your country of residence.
Please drink responsibly. Do not drink and drive.
How Do I Make A Winnie Sanderson Cocktail?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 1 oz Midori
- 1 oz Captain Morgan Tropical Rum
- 1 oz Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- 5 oz Margarita Mix
- Maraschino Cherries
- Mint Sprigs
- Dry ice chips
- Plain ice
- Place the Midori, rums, and margarita mix into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake for 10-15 seconds until well combined.
- Place a few dry ice chips into an 8oz glass and add some regular on top.
- Pour your cocktail over the ice and garnish with maraschino cherries and mint
- The dry ice will smoke for up to 10 minutes but is best in the first 3-5 minutes. Do not swallow dry ice or touch it with your bare skin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Hocus Pocus Pop! Figure
- Highball Glasses
- Halloween Skeleton Swizzle Sticks
- Halloween Skull Ice Bucket
- Halloween Skull Mason Jars
- Halloween Cocktail Napkins
- Halloween Skull Cocktail Picks
- Halloween Straws
- Halloween Cocktail Picks
- Halloween Skeleton Hand Flute Glasses (2-oz)
- Bar Jigger Set for Cocktails
- VonShef Parisian Cocktail Shaker Barware Set
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 784Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 144gFiber: 0gSugar: 143gProtein: 0g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Party!
The beverage is covered, but what about other dishes to create a full menu for a dinner party or special meal?
- Appetizer: Garlic Parmesan Shrimp with Roasted Garlic Dip
- Soup: Bloody Mary Soup
- Salad: Mexican Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Main Dish: Southwestern Ranchero Burger Platter With Homemade Salsa Fresca
- Side Dish: Homemade Guacamole
- Dessert: Fun to Make Witches Brew Candy Bark for Halloween
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.
The post is part of the Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog and is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Halloween! You can check out Crafty October from 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 for awesome Halloween ideas and inspiration!