Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is an incredibly versatile recipe that can be used in tacos or wraps or served up with rice and roasted vegetables. The beef is slowly cooked to perfection, is super tender, and full of flavors including chipotle, oregano, cumin, and lime.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Mexican Shredded Beef
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
Slow cooker recipes are generally very simple to prepare, and this Mexican shredded beef recipe is no exception.
In some recipes, you have to sear meat on all sides before placing it in the crockpot which isn’t that big a deal but can add time to your morning if you’re rushing to get dinner on the go before leaving the house.
No pre-cooking is required in this recipe – literally, put the meat in the slow cooker, throw in the rest of the ingredients, set the temperature (low and slow for at least 8 hours is better than high for less time) and you can be on your way!
The aromas wafting from your slow cooker during the day will make your mouth water! And if you’ve been out during the day and you return home to the cooking of this beef recipe there is nothing better than knowing that dinner is pretty much done!
Mexican shredded beef is one of those super easy and incredibly versatile recipes that can be served in so many ways. Serve it with baked potatoes or try it with Cilantro Lime Rice and salad. Or pile it in tortillas (or lettuce leaf wraps to keep it low carb) or tacos with all the fixings – so good!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Protein – Beef Chuck Roast – one of the more economical cuts of beef. In the UK, this part is commonly referred to as “braising steak” or “stewing steak”. It’s a cut that benefits from long cooking.
- Fresh Produce – Onion, Jalapeño, Limes, Cilantro (Fresh Coriander).
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Chipotle Powder
- Dried Oregano – use Mexican Oregano if possible.
- Canned Tomatoes with Green Chilies – in the UK you may find this in a carton rather than in a can. If you can’t, just use regular canned tomatoes and chop up a couple of chilies to throw in the pot.
- Beef Broth/Stock
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Beef
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is beef, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Korean-Style Beef Noodles
- Braised Beef Burgundy Stew (Also Known as Beef Bourgignon)
- Stuffed Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Vegetables
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Looking for more slow cooker inspo? Check these recipes out next:
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps
- Slow Cooker Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup Recipe
- For best results, allow meat to cook on low for at least 8 hours.
How Do I Make Mexican Shredded Beef?
Just check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2½ lbs (1.1kg) beef chuck roast
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 (10oz/280g) can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro (fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 large limes, cut into 8 wedges each
- Spray the bottom and sides of 6-quart slow-cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray.
- Generously season the beef with salt and pepper on all sides and place in slow cooker crock. Add all remaining ingredients, cover, and cook on low for at least 8 hours.
- When done cooking, remove the lid and shred beef with two forks while still inside the slow cooker. Allow shredded beef to marinate in warm cooking juices for 5 minutes to absorb more flavor.
- Transfer shredded beef from slow cooker to a serving platter with tongs, allowing excess liquid to drain.
- Top with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with fresh lime wedges and additional cooking juices on the side, if desired. Enjoy!
Tip: For best results, allow meat to cook on low for at least 8 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 659mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Mexican Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Side Dish: Easy Refried Beans Recipe
- Side Dish: Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Side Dish: Quick & Easy Spicy Salsa
- Beverage: Jalapeño Cucumber Vodka Lemonade
- Dessert: Mango Lime Frozen Yogurt
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!