This Beef Taco Salad is light, delicious, full of flavor, and is easy to make. Making a taco salad for Taco Tuesday is a great alternative to your weekly dinner menu. This salad will also work great for those warm summer days when you don’t want to be using the oven.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Beef Taco Salad
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
It’s time to ditch the taco meal kit and make this yummy beef taco salad instead!
I’ll be the first to admit it is easy to just grab a box with everything ready for you, but honestly, it’s not that hard to use your own blend of herbs and spices. It means you can really customise the flavor too!
I also find that the hard taco shells in those kits have a habit of snapping really easily and I end up make a salad any way.
Think of this dish as a deconstructed taco. All the fixings are there – black beans, avocado, tomatoes, onion, lettuce, and cheese, and on top, there are crispy tortilla strips that have been baked in the oven. What’s not to love?
You could make the salad and serve it on a platter for everyone to help themselves, or serve all the elements family-style and let each person construct their own taco salad to their liking!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Garlic, Iceberg Lettuce, Avocado, Cherry Tomatoes, Red Onion, Limes, + Frozen Corn
- Protein – Ground Beef/Beef Mince
- Ground Cumin
- Smoked Paprika
- Chili Powder – use mild or hot depending on your personal tastes and spicy heat preference!
- Chipotle Powder
- Onion Powder
- Canned Black Beans
- Corn Tortillas
- Mexican Cheese Blend
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Ground Beef
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is ground beef, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Cheese-Stuffed Taco Meatballs Party Appetizer
- Indian Keema Matar Pie with Bombay Potato Topping
- Chilli Con Carne
More Salad Recipes
Looking for more salads to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Instead of baking tortilla strips for topping the salad, you could crumble up some tortilla chips or hard taco shells instead.
How Do I Make Beef Taco Salad?
Just check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (450g) lean ground beef (beef mince)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp chipotle powder, divided
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 large gluten-free corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, finely chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- ½ small red onion, diced small
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn, warmed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup Mexican blend cheese, finely shredded
- 1.Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and ground beef and season with ground cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, one teaspoon chipotle powder, and onion powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned. Break up the beef with a spatula into small chunks while it cooks.
- While the beef is browning, arrange the tortilla strips on the prepared baking sheet and brush lightly with one tablespoon of olive oil. Place in the oven and cook for 6-8 minutes until slightly crispy.
- Stir the black beans into the skillet with the beef until thoroughly coated with the seasonings. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from skillet and set aside.
- Combine the lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, red onion, and corn in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with remaining olive oil, chipotle powder, and fresh lime juice. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine.
- To serve, transfer salad to a decorative serving platter and top with the seasoned beef and black beans, Mexican cheese, and crispy tortilla strips if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 12gSugar: 14gProtein: 15g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Black Bean Salsa Cups Appetizer
- Side Dish: Homemade Guacamole
- Beverage: Sparkling Pomegranate Cocktail with Citrus Vodka & Lime
- Dessert: Quick & Easy Strawberry Cupcakes for Summer
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!