Serving up a Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Skillet that is ready to go from start to finish in 30 minutes is pure genius! This recipe only requires one skillet, is a delicious dinner option, and can be served up with rice or a fresh green salad.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Skillet
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
This one-pan meal is full of chicken, black beans, corn, and bell peppers and is perfect for when you want to avoid ordering takeout because it is just as quick to make!
Omitting the tortilla from the burrito in this chicken and black bean skillet is a great way to save on some carbs, if this is a concern for you.
Cooking dinner in one pan is always welcomed because it saves on the clearing up. Make it do double duty and serve straight from the skillet!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Red Onion, Bell Peppers, Cilantro (Fresh Coriander), Limes, Avocado + Frozen Corn.
- Protein– Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts.
- Ground Cumin
- Smoked Paprika
- Dried Oregano – use Mexican Oregano if possible.
- Chipotle Powder
- Canned Black Beans
- Monterey Jack Cheese – sometimes shortened to Jack, is an American white, semi-hard cheese made using cow’s milk. It is noted for its mild flavor and slight sweetness. In addition to being eaten by itself, it is frequently marbled with Colby to produce Colby-Jack, or with yellow cheddar to produce cheddar-Jack. Wikipedia. If you can’t source it where you live, you could use Cheddar instead.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Spicy Chicken Satay Recipe with a Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Chicken Shawarma with Rainbow Couscous
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew
More Skillet Recipes
Looking for more skillet recipe inspo? Check these recipes out next:
- Easy Parmesan Breakfast Potatoes in a Cast-Iron Skillet
- Bratwurst Skillet with Apples & Vegetables
- Crispy Cheesy Hash Browns in a Cast Iron Skillet
How Do I Make Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Skillet?
Just check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 2 red or green bell peppers, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs (680g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- 1 (14-oz/400g) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, divided
For Serving, Optional
- ½ cup Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1 large lime, sliced into 8 wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the veggies are soft and slightly caramelized.
- Add the chicken, ground cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, and chipotle powder, and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Stir in the black beans and frozen corn. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring once or twice, until everything is warmed through. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice and half of the fresh cilantro.
- If using, sprinkle cheese on top and cover until cheese melts. Serve immediately topped with remaining cilantro, chopped avocado, and fresh lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 608Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 685mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 13gSugar: 5gProtein: 66g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Homemade Guacamole
- Beverage: Refreshing Watermelon Vodka Slush Cocktail with Lime
- Dessert: Awesome Chunky Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe with Extra Peanuts!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!