If you are tired of plain old chicken noodle soup and are looking for something with a little kick, this Chicken Fajita Soup is exactly what you need! This spicy chicken soup can be made in your Instant Pot so it’s ready in no time.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Chicken Fajita Soup
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
I’m sure many of us think of soup as an autumn/winter food, but there are plenty of lighter soups that can enjoyed in the warmer months like this totally yummy chicken fajita soup.
The soup is cooked in an Instant Pot, however, it is possible to cook it in a regular soup pan on the stove, so you don’t have to miss out! See my tips section on how to cook it the “traditional” way.
This Tex-Mex chicken soup with black beans is full of savory and spicy flavors thanks to bell peppers, poblano pepper, tomatoes, limes, cumin, oregano, and chili powder.
The addition of avocado, cheese, and cilantro on top is what really sets this soup apart. Your family won’t think this is a boring and plain chicken recipe after they try this soup!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Red Onion, Red and Yellow Bell Pepper, Poblano Pepper, Limes, Avocados, Cilantro (Fresh Coriander).
- Protein – Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts.
- Canned, Diced Fire-Roasted Tomatoes – not a product available in UK supermarkets, however, you may find them online, or you can just use regular canned tomatoes.
- Chicken Broth/Stock
- Ground Cumin
- Chili Powder – use mild or hot depending on your personal tastes and spicy heat preference!
- Dried Oregano – use Mexican Oregano if possible.
- Garlic Powder
- Canned Black Beans
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend – or you could use regular Cheddar if you prefer.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Sheet Pan Balsamic Chicken Breasts with Sweet Potato & Broccoli
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Spicy Chicken Satay Recipe with a Peanut Dipping Sauce
More Soup Recipes
Looking for more soups to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Pozole Rojo de Pollo (Red Pozole with Chicken)
- Gluten-Free Minestrone Soup with Cannellini Beans
- Spanish Chorizo & Red Lentil Soup Recipe
How to Cook Chicken Fajita Soup in a Regular Soup Pan
There is absolutely no reason why this soup can’t be cooked in a regular pan on the stovetop. You will have to use some of your own cooking skills for timing and to adjust liquids as required. The important thing is to make sure the chicken is cooked throughout with no pink in the middle. Use the recipe card for ingredients
- Sauté the red onion, bell peppers and Poblano pepper in a large saucepan/soup pan on medium-high heat until crisp-tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place chicken in the pan along with tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. You may need to add more chicken broth.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add back to the pan with the sautéed veggies, black beans, and lime juice. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Warm the soup on a medium-low heat until the veggies and beans are heated through.
How Do I Make Chicken Fajita Soup?
Just check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs (680g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14oz/400g) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 cups chicken broth, preferably organic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano, dried
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (15oz/400g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 large avocados, sliced
- 3 Tbsp red onion, chopped
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add red onion, bell peppers, and Poblano pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring continually, until the onion and peppers are crisp-tender and develop a bit of color. Switch unit to “off” and transfer veggies to a bowl. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place chicken in the Instant Pot, along with tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set the cooking time to 10 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and shred chicken breasts with two forks. Add sautéed veggies, black beans, and lime juice. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Allow soup to sit on the “Warm” setting for several minutes until the veggies and beans are heated through.
- Serve immediately topped with sliced avocados, red onion, Mexican cheese, and fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 949mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 14gSugar: 6gProtein: 25g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You could serve this soup up as a main dish or a smaller portion as a starter appetizer or side, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Side Salad: Mexican Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Beverage: Jalapeño Cucumber Vodka Lemonade
- Dessert: Mango Lime Frozen Yogurt
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!