With this inspired Sizzling Chicken Fajitas recipe you can recreate your favorite Mexican restaurant dish at home! Heating the serving skillet for an authentic restaurant-style sizzling presentation will impress and delight your family and friends!
I’ve got a collection of 60+ Mexican and Tex-Mex Recipes for you to try out – right-click and open them in a new tab to read next.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Sizzling Chicken Fajitas
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
I remember as a kid having fajitas for the very first time. The sizzling hot plate presented to the table with slices of chicken, peppers, and onions; and a pile of soft tortillas on the side – I think my love of Mexican food may well have started then!
It can be expensive to eat out, but there is no reason why you can’t re-create the restaurant experience at home.
While you’re cooking the fillings, it’s as easy as placing a Cast Iron Fajita Skillet into the oven to start heat through. By the time everything is prepared, the skillet is ready to use.
Sizzling chicken fajitas are a perfect weeknight dinner, and can easily be tailored to your own taste preferences because you can build your fajitas exactly the way you want!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It may not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Green, Red, and Yellow Bell Peppers, White Onion, Avocados, Limes, Cilantro (Fresh Coriander)
- Protein – Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Chili Powder – use mild or hot depending on your personal tastes and spicy heat preference!
- Ground Cumin
- Smoked Paprika
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Mexican Oregano
- Special Equipment: Cast Iron Fajita Set
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Chicken Paillard Salad with Arugula and Parmesan
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Instant Pot Sesame Garlic Chicken Wings – A Great Game Day Appetizer
More Mexican/Tex-Mex Recipes
Looking for more Mexican/Tex-Mex to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Slow Cooker Sausage Chili – A Classic Recipe with a Twist!
- Garden Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Verde – A Delicious Dip for Tortilla Chips!
- Slow Roasted Pulled Pork Tacos
- For an authentic restaurant-style sizzling fajita presentation – heat the cast iron fajita skillet in a hot oven while preparing the chicken and vegetables. Transfer the cooked ingredients to the hot fajita skillets and serve immediately.
- The chicken can be sliced before cooking, but it has a tendency to dry out when prepared this way. Cooking the whole breasts takes a bit longer, but the chicken will be juicier.
How Do I Make Sizzling Chicken Fajitas?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
For the Fajita Marinade
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp dried Mexican oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ lbs (680g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 2 large avocados, sliced
- 2 large limes, cut into wedges
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts to a large, non-reactive bowl and pour the marinade on top. Turn the breasts to ensure all pieces are equally coated. Leave to marinate at room temperature for up to one hour or cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- To prepare the fajitas, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Remove chicken breasts from the marinade and discard the remaining liquid. Place the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook for 7-8 minutes before turning. Continue cooking another 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Tip: An instant-read thermometer should read 72°C/160°F when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken. The heat will continue to rise another 5 degrees while the meat rests.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the remaining olive oil to the skillet. Add the sliced peppers and onion and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp tender and nicely browned.
- To serve, cut the chicken breasts into thin slices and divide among cast iron fajita platters if using, (see tip below) or individual serving plates.
Tip: For an authentic restaurant-style sizzling fajita presentation – heat the cast iron fajita skillet in a hot oven while preparing the chicken and vegetables. Transfer the cooked ingredients to the hot fajita skillets and serve immediately.
- Serve immediately with peppers, onions, sliced avocado, lime wedges, and fresh cilantro, if desired, on the side.
Tip: The chicken can be sliced before cooking, but it has a tendency to dry out when prepared this way. Cooking the whole breasts takes a bit longer, but the chicken will be juicier.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a special meal or dinner party:
- Appetizer: Spicy Mango Salsa Recipe
- Soup: One-Pot Easy Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
- Salad: Super Easy Crisp & Crunchy Broccoli Slaw Recipe
- Side Dish: Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Beverage: Cuban Rum and Peach Cocktail – A Delicious Tropical Summer Beverage
- Dessert: Berry Cheesecake Parfaits
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.