This low carb chicken recipe is absolutely delicious and a perfect meal if you are following a low carb way of life. Chicken thighs are cooked with lemon and rosemary (which are a match made in heaven) and a sauce is created with butter, stock, and the cooking juices. Plus, it’s all cooked in one pan, making clean up a breeze!
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
Save this recipe to Pinterest and it will be there every time you need it!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Low Carb Chicken Recipe
I turned to low carb (specifically Keto) over a year ago now and it has made a huge difference to my life.
Whether you live a low carb lifestyle or not, this one-pan chicken recipe is so good! It is flavoured with lemon and rosemary which is a delicious combo and is cooked with shallots and broccoli florets for an all-in-one meal.
Eat it as is, if you are low carb; or add some mashed potatoes or steamed rice if you are not. You could prepare some extra veggies too if you like.
Now, before I go on, I would like to point out that I do not have medical or dietary training, and you should always consult your doctor before embarking on a change of diet.
I am not going to go into a lot of detail about Keto, as that is not the point of this post – the point is the delicious low carb chicken recipe that you can enjoy!
The chances are that if you have found yourself on this page, you are either following a low carb or keto way of life or have just started eating this way and want some recipe inspiration.
So I will briefly touch upon what Keto is – but I advise you do your own research as there is a lot to learn.
What Is Keto?
Keto is short for Ketogenic and is a low-carb diet (way of eating) which can help burn fat more effectively. Instead of your body using glucose (sugar) as a fuel source, it will use ketones, which are small fuel molecules that are produced when eating a diet low in carbohydrates.
Keto eating is high in good fats, moderate in protein, and low in carbs – under 20g net carbs per day. Net carbs are total carbs, minus fibre and non-digestible sugar alcohols.
What Are The Benefits Of Keto?
There are several health benefits of the ketogenic, some of which are: appetite control; improved health markers; improved energy and mental performance; as well as weight loss, and blood sugar and type 2 diabetes control.
The latter two benefits are my two main reasons for doing keto. If you dig deep into my blog you will find several posts about my weight and trying to lose weight. I’ve done every diet under the sun, trying to find the holy grail of one that will work for me.
Since eating low carb with keto, I have lost some weight, and I’ve been able to keep it off. I’ve also broken the yo-yo weight loss/gain cycle which I have struggled with for decades. Most importantly I’m getting my daily blood sugars down, as well as reducing HbA1C count which my doctor (and I) are over the moon about.
RELATED READING: Low Carb/Keto Recipes [Roundups]
Ingredients used in this recipe
The ingredients in this chicken dish are not overly complicated. You will need:
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs (although you can have them with the bone-in/skin on if you wish – adjust cooking time accordingly so that the chicken is cooked thoroughly)
- shallots (or if you can’t find them, use a red onion which has a milder taste than white/brown onions)
- fresh rosemary
- fresh unwaxed or organic lemons (as wedges of lemon go into this dish)
- frozen broccoli
- and of course salt and black pepper to your taste
Chicken thighs are full of flavour and generally cheaper than chicken breasts. And because we want the fats in a low carb or keto meal, the thighs have more of that, than the breasts.
That said if you prefer to use chicken breasts, or even the drumsticks, go ahead. As I already mentioned above, adjust cooking time accordingly so that the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Equipment used in this recipe
Since this recipe is cooked on the stovetop you are going to need either a large frying pan, sauté pan, or skillet to cook everything in. You also need a lid for the pan, or a way of covering it (I have been known to use a large dinner plate!).
Share this post with your friends on Facebook!
You can follow The Purple Pumpkin Blog on Facebook too!
How do I make lemon rosemary chicken?
I love one-pan cooking – it saves on washing up! And yes, I’m one of those ancient people that doesn’t own a dishwasher. There is just no room in our current kitchen situation for one, but there will be when we remodel…
Anyway, back to making this yummy chicken dish.
Start by melting butter in the pan, and seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper. The seasoned chicken goes into the pan and is cooked on both sides for 4-5 minutes until golden. Remove from the pan and keep warm while you start making the sauce.
Melt some more butter in the same pan, and sauté the shallots for a few minutes to soften. Then add chicken stock and bring to the boil while scraping all the goodness from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
Add chopped rosemary and reduce the stock by about half, before adding back the chicken and all the juices too. Also add in the frozen broccoli and lemon, and pop a lid onto the pan. Simmer away for around 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the broccoli is tender.
Serve immediately with extra lemon if you wish.This one-pan lemon rosemary chicken with broccoli is full of flavour and a great low carb meal too! #ChickenRecipes #LowCarb
Know someone who would enjoy this chicken recipe? Why not forward it onto them by email or WhatsApp?
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup/250ml chicken stock
- 1½ Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 16oz/450g frozen broccoli
- 1 medium organic lemon, sliced and cut into small, thin wedges
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pan/skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Swirl to coat bottom of pan.
- Unroll chicken thighs and season each side with salt and black pepper. Add seasoned chicken to hot pan and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until chicken is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and transfer chicken to a plate. Cover and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining butter and sliced shallots to the pan. Sauté shallots for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown.
- Add chicken stock to pan and increase heat to medium-high. Bring liquid to a boil while using a wooden spoon to scrape up brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Add the rosemary and continue cooking for about 4-5 minutes until liquid is reduced by about half, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken and its juices to the pan, along with the frozen broccoli and thin lemon wedges.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until broccoli is tender and the chicken is cooked through, and juices run clear. (Internal temperature should read 165F/75C on an instant-read thermometer.)
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with a spoonful of pan sauce drizzled over each chicken thigh. Garnish with additional lemon wedges, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 31g
This site uses an outside source (Nutritionix) to provide estimated nutrition. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
I would love if you shared this on Pinterest – just use the button below. Your shares are how I grow and I am sincerely grateful every time you share something from my blog. You are welcome to follow me on Pinterest too where I share tons of great ideas and inspiration!
Make It A Meal!
Looking for some mealtime inspiration to go with this chicken dish? I’ve got you covered! I’ve picked dishes that are on the lower-carb side.
- Appetizer: Balsamic Mozzarella Stuffed Grape Tomatoes
- Beverage: Watermelon Lime Spritzer
- Dessert: Summer Berry Platter
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.
Do you hangout on Instagram? Let’s stay in touch! Follow The Purple Pumpkin Blog on Instagram and use #TPPBcook when you make and share this low carb chicken recipe!
More Recipes Using Chicken
- Paleo-Friendly Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Dip
- Hungarian Chicken Stew
- Sweet & Spicy Hawaiian Chicken Recipe
More One-Pan Recipes
Once you’ve made this lemon rosemary chicken in one pan, you’ll be wanting to more one-pan recipes – here are some for you to check out (they may not be low carb).
- Sheet Pan Steak Dinner: Garlic Parmesan Steak with Asparagus
- One Pan Paleo Breakfast (Paleo is lower carb, but not as strictly low carb as keto)
- One Pan Chicken Cacciatore – Italian Hunter’s Stew