A twist on a classic cocktail, this Grapefruit Screwdriver is made with red grapefruit juice instead of the usual orange juice. But that’s not all! Grapefruit liqueur goes in along with vodka for a refreshing, tart drink that is great for brunch or for sipping in the sunshine! Mix it up even further by using flavored vodkas!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
A screwdriver is a popular alcoholic highball drink made with orange juice and vodka, and like many cocktails, there are many variations.
One of those variations is this recipe for a Grapefruit Screwdriver which uses grapefruit juice instead of orange juice, and for an extra tart and tangy kick, grapefruit liqueur, and of course, the traditional vodka.
So if sour cocktails are your thing, then you simply must try this one!
You can squeeze your own juice (red grapefruit is used in this drink) or pour from a carton or bottle. You can add a little sweetness if you prefer by using half orange juice with the grapefruit.
This cocktail is shaken, but don’t worry if you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you could just use a container with a tight-fitting lid – like a mason jar or even the cup on a blender or smoothie maker.
More Cocktails To Make
Want to make more cocktails? I think you’re going to love these ones:
- Banana Colada – A Tropical Rum Banana Cocktail for Parties
- Refreshing Watermelon Vodka Slush Cocktail with Lime
- Blackberry Vodka Cocktail
Grapefruit Screwdriver Variations
I like to try and give variations on the cocktails shared on The Purple Pumpkin Blog, and especially turning the cocktail into a mocktail so that non-drinkers (and kids if suitable) can enjoy the drink too!
Virgin Grapefruit Screwdriver Mocktail (non-alcoholic)
So that non-drinkers can enjoy a Grapefruit Screwdriver, we simply remove the alcohol and replace it with tonic water, which is also the way you make a mocktail of the original Screwdriver (orange juice and tonic water).
You could also make a ScrewUp, which is juice and 7 Up. This would probably be a better version for kids over tonic water.
Original Screwdriver Variations
There are several variations of the original Screwdriver which I wanted to include. You may have heard of some of them already. You could try with grapefruit juice too if you like.
- Slow (Sloe) Screw – two parts Sloe Gin, and filled with Orange Juice
- Slow Comfortable Screw – two parts Sloe Gin, one part Southern Comfort and filled with Orange Juice
- Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against The Wall – one part Sloe Gin, one part Southern Comfort, one part Galliano and filled with Orange Juice
- Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against The Wall Mexican Style – one part of Sloe Gin, one part Southern Comfort, one part Galliano, one part tequila and filled with Orange Juice
- Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against a Fuzzy Wall – one part Sloe Gin, one part Southern Comfort, one part Galliano, one part Peach Schnapps, and filled with Orange Juice
- Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against a Fuzzy Pink Wall – one part Sloe Gin, one part Southern Comfort, one part Galliano, one part Peach Schnapps, one part Sparkling Rosé, and filled with Orange Juice
- Harvey Wallbanger – two parts Vodka, one part Galliano, and four parts Orange Juice
- Sonic Screwdriver – equal parts Vanilla Vodka & Blue Curaçao topped with Lemon-Lime Soda. This cocktail is named after the Sonic Screwdriver from Doctor Who. The blue color of the cocktail resembles the blue parts of the prop from the show.
- Burning Screwdriver – one part Fireball, and four parts Orange Juice
- Cordless Screwdriver – a shot of Vodka with a slice of orange
Flavored Vodka or Liqueurs
Why not try experimenting with different flavored vodkas or liqueurs in this drink? A variety of flavors are available these days, and who knows, you may invent your new favorite drink!
Coconut, ginger, melon, pineapple, pomegranate, raspberry, and strawberry pair perfectly with grapefruit. Give them a try!
Frozen Grapefruit Screwdriver
Want to turn this beverage into a frozen slushie? Easy! Put all the ingredients in a blender with a generous amount of crushed ice – then blend till smooth. Serve with a straw, and watch out for brain freeze! You could do the same with the mocktail version too.
Grapefruit Screwdriver Party Punch
Want to make this cocktail for a crowd? It’s so easy! Here’s how to do it!
As long as you use the same measuring container (glass, cup, jug, etc.,) for the “1 part”, the ratios will be correct and you can make as much as you need to.
Make sure you add plenty of ice to your serving receptacle of choice to keep the cocktail chilled. Add slices of grapefruit and mint leaves in there too if you like
You could also leave a plateful of sliced grapefruit and mint leaves near the glasses so that guests can garnish their glasses.
Speaking of which, place cocktail glasses in the bar/serving area along with an ice bucket filled with ice.
To make a big batch of Grapefruit Screwdriver Party Punch, mix together:
- 5 parts Red Grapefruit Juice (or do half orange juice)
- 1 part Grapefruit Liqueur
- 1 part Vodka
- Club Soda – to top up
This cocktail recipe is intended for adults of legal drinking age in your country of residence. Please drink responsibly. Do not drink and drive.
How Do I Make a Grapefruit Screwdriver?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, any pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- 5oz Red Grapefruit Juice*
- 1oz Grapefruit Liqueur
- 1oz Vodka
- Splash of Club Soda
- Ice Cubes
- Fresh Mint, for garnish
- Grapefruit Wedge, for garnish
- Place the grapefruit juice, grapefruit liqueur, and vodka in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake well until blended.
- Pour into a glass filled ice.
- Top up with club soda.
- Garnish with a grapefruit wedge and mint leaves. Enjoy!
*or use half orange juice, half grapefruit juice
Make It A Meal!
The beverage is covered, but what about other dishes to make this recipe into a full meal? Here are my suggestions!
- Appetizer: Gluten-Free Gazpacho Recipe with Chickpea “Croutons”
- Main Dish: Roasted Artichoke Mozzarella Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Dessert: Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes with Strawberries & Cream Filling!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.