These Cuban Mojo Potatoes are so versatile, they can be cooked on a BBQ grill or in the oven. The flavour combinations of cilantro, chili flakes, lime, and garlic really bring the authentic spicy delights of Cuba to your summer BBQ.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Cuban Mojo Potatoes
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
If you’re looking for a different type of side dish to serve, you have to try these Cuban Mojo Potatoes.
They’re perfect for summer as they can be cooked in a foil packet on the grill, giving them a wonderful smoky touch (especially if you cook over charcoal instead of gas).
The lime adds a refreshing zing, the onions caramelize, and you can add enough red chili flakes to your personal tastes – either very mild, or very hot, or somewhere in between. And you can forget the garlic, which always makes food taste good!
Pair the mojo potatoes with grilled fish, shrimp or chicken along with a green salad for a tasty summer dinner. Or you could also cook up our Cuban Mojo Pork recipe to enjoy with the potatoes too.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It does not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, and pepper, as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen already. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Yukon Gold or Maris Piper Potatoes, Limes, Red Onion, Garlic, Cilantro (Coriander), Green Onions (Spring Onions/Scallions)
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Potatoes
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is potatoes, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Butter Parsley Baby Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Easy Parmesan Breakfast Potatoes in a Cast-Iron Skillet
- Rustic Roasted Potatoes with Garlic, Rosemary & Lemon
More Side Dish Recipes
Looking for more sides to make? Check these recipes out next:
- 15-Minute Grilled Marinated Asparagus with Italian Gremolata
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- 5-Ingredient Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
How Do I Make Cuban Mojo Potatoes?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 1½ lbs (680g) Yukon Gold or Maris Piper Potatoes, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt (sea salt flakes)
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp diced garlic
- 3 scallions (green onions/spring onions), sliced
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- Using a BBQ Grill, turn grill on and allow to heat up for 10 minutes.
- Place a large sheet of foil onto a baking tray.
- Place all ingredients into the center of the foil, except the cilantro
- Cover ingredients with two layers of foil and crimp or fold around the edges to seal.
- Place the potatoes over the hottest part of the grill
- Rotate the potatoes every 10 minutes for about 50-60 minutes
- Remove from grill, unwrap, top with cilantro and enjoy!
Alternatively, prepare the potatoes as directed and roast in a hot oven until tender. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 325mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal
You’ve made the side dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Appetizer: Quick & Easy Spicy Salsa Recipe
- Soup: Southwestern Chicken Soup with Black Beans
- Salad: Jewelled Rice Salad
- Main Dish: Cuban Mojo Pork – Perfect For Making Cubano Sandwiches!
- Beverage: Cuban Rum and Peach Cocktail – A Delicious Tropical Summer Beverage
- Dessert: Tropical Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.