Make this festive Jewelled Rice Salad for parties and celebrations. The delicious ingredients which include mango, dried apricots and cranberries, red chillies, and pomegranate are flecked through white long grain and wild rice, and look like little jewels! A herb-filled dressing, and a selection of chopped nuts completes this amazing salad.
I’ve got more Rice Salad Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
Jewelled Rice Salad
I made this dish for our Boxing Day Buffet. I was serving vegetarians, and wanted something that was not only packed with flavour, but looked festive too. I think I hit the mark with the jewelled rice salad! All the different ingredients flecked through look like little jewels, which is how I came up with the name of this rice salad recipe.
The rice used in this salad is a mixture of white long grain rice, and a wild rice. I used microwave packets of a rice blend – if you can’t find this mix, you can use just regular rice instead.
The dressing for the rice salad is made with a ton of fresh herbs – adjust the quantities to your personal preference – along with olive oil and lemon juice.
Since Christmastime is filled with dried fruit and nuts (at least, in our house it is!) they are the main stars of the salad, with some fresh ingredients thrown in as their understudy!
Here is what I used, but you could make some swaps if you don’t like a particular ingredient.
- Dried apricots
- Dried cranberries (you could use golden raisins or sultans instead)
- Macadamia nuts
- Flaked toasted almonds
- Spring (green) onions/scallions
- Red chillies
- Fresh mango – pineapple would also well.
- Pomegranate seeds
Once you have the base of this recipe down (which is really the rice and the dressing) you can experiment with different ingredients. In fact, this is a tweak on another recipe of mine – Empire Rice Salad.
- 4 x 250g packs microwavable long grain and wild rice
- 8 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps lemon juice, plus extra to taste
- 12 tbsps mixed fresh herbs e.g., flat leaf parsley, chives, mint and coriander, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, de-stoned and diced finely
- 150g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 150g dried cranberries
- 150g macadamia nuts, chopped
- 150g walnuts, chopped
- 180g pomegranate seeds (roughly 2 pomegranates)
- 100g toasted flaked almonds (optional)
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package. Leave to cool then place into the fridge for one hour.
- Mix the herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a bowl and set to one side.
- When the rice is cold, stir in the spring onions, chilli, mango, dried apricots, dried cranberries, macadamia nuts, walnuts and pomegranate seeds and mix well.
- Pour over the the herby olive oil dressing and stir through the salad. Check the seasoning and add more lemon juice, salt and pepper as required.
- If using the flaked almonds, stir some into the salad, reserving some to scatter over the top.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 26g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 75mg Carbohydrates: 50g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 24g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g