If you are craving some Tex-Mex food but want something different from tacos or burritos, then you have to try this Southwestern Chicken Soup with Black Beans. Flavorful chicken thighs plus fresh sweet corn, black beans, tomatoes, jalapeno, and spices are used to create this hearty soup.
Don’t have time for this recipe now? Be sure to tap the heart icon ♥ in the bottom right of the screen to save this post for later!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Southwestern Chicken Soup
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
This Southwestern chicken soup recipe would be fantastic as a part of your dinner menu to celebrate Cinco de Mayo or for when you are craving Tex-Mex flavors.
This delicious soup packs a ton of flavor into every bite. Adding some fresh lime juice and cilantro right before serving really brightens the flavors and pulls them all together.
This soup makes a great appetizer, or pair it with a crisp, green side salad for a satisfying meal.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Garlic, Corn on the Cob, Tomatoes, Jalapeño, Limes, Cilantro (Fresh Coriander).
- Protein – Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Broth/Stock
- Canned Black Beans
- Ground Cumin
- Chili Powder – use mild or hot depending on your personal tastes and spicy heat preference!
- Dried Oregano
- Cayenne Pepper
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Chicken Shawarma with Rainbow Couscous
- Spicy Chicken Satay Recipe with a Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Hawaiian Barbecue Chicken (Sweet & Spicy Lava Chicken for a Luau!)
More Soup Recipes
Looking for more soup inspo? Check these recipes out next:
How Do I Make Southwestern Chicken Soup?
Just check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 lbs (900g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth/stock, divided
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn, husked and kernels removed
- 2 (15-oz/400g). cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 limes, quartered
- ¼ cups fresh cilantro (fresh coriander), chopped
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a large, high-sided skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Remove browned garlic with a slotted spatula and discard.
- Unroll the chicken thighs and season both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Add chicken to hot skillet and brown on both sides, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add just enough chicken broth to the skillet to cover about one-third of the chicken thighs. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 40-45 minutes until the chicken is pull-apart tender.
- Once tender, carefully shred the chicken with 2 forks while still in the skillet. Add corn kernels, black beans, chopped tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper to the skillet and top off with the remaining chicken stock. Stir to combine and season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Increase the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes until heated through. If time permits, simmer longer to give flavors more time to mingle.
- Remove from heat and stir in juice from 2 whole limes and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately with remaining lime wedges. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1781mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 13gSugar: 9gProtein: 29g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
This soup is a hearty main dish, but you could serve a smaller portion as a starter appetizer. But what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Side Dish: Quick & Easy Spicy Salsa
- Side Salad: Mexican Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Beverage: Texas Margaritas
- Dessert: Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes with Strawberries & Cream Filling
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!