Chilly, dark autumnal evenings call for the big guns in hearty comfort food. This Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe is an absolute winner. Comprising of beef chuck roast, Italian seasoning, red onions, carrots, potatoes, and green beans, you can create this classic, crowd-pleasing warming dish in under 2 hours.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
With just 15 minutes of prep, you can have an amazing meal with little effort. This Instant Pot pot roast recipe is easy to make and tastes great!
Everything that makes a great Sunday dinner is included in the one-pot meal – meat, potatoes, and vegetables.
While the chuck roast is cooking away in the Instant Pot, you can get on and get other things done, knowing that your main meal is taken care of!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It does not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Protein – Beef Chuck Roast, Thick-Cut Bacon
- Fresh Produce – Red Onion, Carrots, Fingerling Potatoes, Green Beans, Parsley
- Beef Broth/Stock
- Tomato Paste – also known as Tomato Purée.
- Italian Seasoning – this recipe uses store-bought Italian Seasoning, but it is so easy to make your own herb mixes, especially if you already have a bunch of herbs and spices in your pantry already. Just mix equal measures of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley, and thyme. You can also add a pinch of garlic granules or powder as well as red chili flakes if you like. Store in an airtight jar and use in recipes as required.
- Cocoa Powder
- Garlic Powder
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Beef
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is beef, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Braised Beef Burgundy Stew (Also Known as Beef Bourgignon)
- Dinner Party Worthy Stuffed Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Vegetables
- Mexican Shredded Beef in the Slow Cooker
More Instant Pot Recipes
Looking for more dishes to make in the Instant Pot? Check these recipes out next:
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders with Coleslaw
- Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans and Rice (Vegetarian & Vegan Recipe)
- How to Make Instant Pot Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Porked)
- Time-Saving Tip: Prep the onions, carrots, potatoes, and green beans after the roast starts cooking.
- In the UK chuck roast may also be known as braising steak or brisket – any cut of beef that is good for slow cooking will be good in this recipe.
How Do I Make Instant Pot Traditional Pot Roast?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 lbs (1.3-1.8kg) beef chuck roast, trimmed*
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups beef broth, preferably organic, divided
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 8 oz (225g) thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 lbs (450g) multi-colored fingerling potatoes, halved
- 1 lbs (450g) green beans, trimmed
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley leaves, chopped (optional)
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot inner cooking pot and select the “Sauté’ function. Use the “Adjust” button to select the “More” (high) setting.
- Once hot, add the roast and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Sear the roast on all sides, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Remove roast from Instant Pot® and transfer to a platter. Set aside.
- .Deglaze Instant Pot® inner pot by adding the beef broth and gently scraping the bottom with a rubber spatula to release the brown bits. Add the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, cocoa powder, and garlic powder, and stir to combine. Push the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button to turn off the Sauté function.
- Return the roast to the Instant Pot® and add the lid. Lock the lid into place and set the vent to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” button and adjust to the “High” setting, if necessary. Set cook time to 60 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure. Add onion, carrots, potatoes, and green beans on top of the roast.
- Cover and lock the lid into place. Set the vent to “Sealing” and push the “Manual” button (should still be on “High.”) Adjust cook time to 3 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure.
- 8.Carefully remove the lid and transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter. Serve immediately garnished with fresh parsley leaves, if desired. Enjoy!
*In the UK this may also be known as braising steak or brisket - any cut of beef that is good for slow cooking will be good in this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1058Total Fat: 65gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 288mgSodium: 1533mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 93g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Appetizer: Garlic Parmesan Shrimp with Roasted Garlic Dip – Perfect for Sharing!
- Soup: Loaded Cauliflower Leek Soup Recipe – Can Be Served Hot or Chilled!
- Salad: Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- Side Dish: Comforting & Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes
- Beverage: Apple Cider Margarita
- Dessert: Delicious & Decadent Deep Dish Cherry Chocolate Ganache Pie
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.