Now that the festivities are over, it’s all back to normality, which can be quite the downer! A fabulous healthy comfort food is a bowl of chunky vegetable soup. Serve as it is or with some crusty bread for a great winter warmer. I always think of a vegetable soup as something you can really customise to your taste, but here is a fab recipe to give you the basics!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 4 stalks of celery, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 vegetable stock pots (or similar)
- 600-900mls water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 sprig thyme, chopped
- 2 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes and garlic and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, thyme, 600 mls water and seasoning to taste. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 mins or until the potatoes are cooked. Add more water if needed.
- Spoon into bowls, scatter with parsley and serve with buttered bread or garlic bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 2.6mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 9gSugar: 20gProtein: 5g
Recipe and photo credit to villas.com where you can rent self-catering properties in the UK and overseas.