Who isn’t always in search of an easy family dinner idea? Look no further than this Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti recipe – ready in 1 hour and using just a few simple ingredients.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Recipe
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Chicken parmesan with spaghetti is a favorite for a very good reason – it tastes so good and has the added bonus of being really easy to make.
Pounded chicken breasts are coated in seasoned crispy panko breadcrumbs, pan-fried, and then layered with tomato sauce and cheese.
While the chicken parm cooks and bubbles away in the oven, just cook up some spaghetti to serve and enjoy!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It may not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card.
- Equipment – 9×13″ Baking Dish
- Fresh Produce – Basil
- Protein – Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Dairy – Parmesan Cheese, Mozzarella
- Tomato Sauce – in the UK use passata, or a tomato-based pasta sauce, not ketchup!
- All-Purpose Flour – also known as Plain Flour.
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Italian Seasoning – this recipe uses store-bought Italian Seasoning, but it is so easy to make your own herb mixes, especially if you already have a bunch of herbs and spices in your pantry already. Just mix equal measures of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley, and thyme. You can also add a pinch of garlic granules or powder as well as red chili flakes if you like. Store in an airtight jar and use in recipes as required.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Sheet Pan Lemon Chicken and Vegetables (An Easy Family Dinner)
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe – A Classic Indian Curry
- Chicken Paillard Salad with Arugula and Parmesan
More Pasta Recipes
Looking for more pasta dishes to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Linguine (35-Minute) Recipe
- Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Recipe in 30 Minutes
- Italian Pasta Puttanesca Recipe (with Anchovies, Olives and Capers)
How Do I Make Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 3 cups tomato sauce (passata), divided
- 1½ lbs (680g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1¼ cup Parmesan cheese, fresh grated, divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6oz (170g) fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- 1 (16-oz/450g) package of spaghetti
To Serve, Optional
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 220°C/425ºF/Gas 7.
- Pour one cup of tomato sauce into a 9”x13” baking dish and spread into an even layer across the bottom. Set aside.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until approximately ½” (1cm) thick. Remove and discard the top sheet of plastic wrap. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper, as desired, and set aside.
- Pour the flour onto a shallow, rimmed plate. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and water together in a large, wide bowl. Set aside.
- Place the breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and one-quarter cup of Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper as desired. Mix together with a fork to combine and set it aside.
- To add breading to each chicken breast, lightly dredge the breast in the flour, shake off any excess.
- Dip the floured chicken into the egg wash to coat completely and gently shake off any excess egg.
- Press the floured and egged breast into the bread crumb mixture until thoroughly coated on both sides. Once coated, place each breast onto a large plate and set it aside. Repeat until all chicken breasts are breaded.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large, high-sided pan over medium heat. Once hot, add half the chicken breasts to the pan and cook until lightly browned on each side, approximately 4-5 minutes per side. Once browned, transfer the breasts to the prepared baking dish and arrange them in a single layer. Repeat this process with the remaining olive oil and chicken.
- Top the browned chicken breasts with the sliced Mozzarella and spread the remaining tomato sauce across the top in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining grated Parmesan cheese on top and place the baking dish into the center of the preheated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and set aside until ready to serve.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and cool for several minutes. Divide the spaghetti among individual serving plates and top each serving with a cheesy chicken breast and some sauce.
- To serve, sprinkle some fresh basil and/or Parmesan cheese on top if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1116Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 337mgSodium: 2175mgCarbohydrates: 103gFiber: 8gSugar: 11gProtein: 91g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the main, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a special meal or dinner party:
- Appetizer: Classic Caprese Skewers with Balsamic Glaze
- Soup: Italian Meatball Soup Recipe
- Salad: Roasted Artichoke and White Bean Salad with Swiss Chard
- Side Dish: Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
- Beverage: Pink Grapefruit Martini Cocktail (with Vodka or Gin)
- Dessert: Quick & Easy Strawberry Cupcakes for Summer
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.