If you are looking for a healthy, simple yet tasty summer dinner idea then this Lemon Lime White Fish recipe is perfect. You can use any kind of firm white fish for this dish, plus a combination of lemon, limes, cilantro, butter, and jalapenos. Easily made in foil packets, either on the grill outside or inside the oven, the fish is ready to enjoy in around 30 minutes.
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon Lime White Fish Recipe
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved. Some images for illustrative purposes.
You’re in for a pleasant surprise if you’ve never tried foil packet cooking. It simply takes a few minutes to prepare, and cleanup is a breeze!
This method can be used year-round indoors, or put the foil packets onto your grill for a light and healthy lunch during the summer.
This method can be used with any combination of fish, lean protein, and vegetables.
This recipe can be made with any firm white fish, such as cod, grouper, or halibut.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. Staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., aren’t always included here as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ALL ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Lemons, Limes, Cilantro, Jalapeño
- Protein – Your choice of firm, white fish such as cod, grouper, or halibut
- Dairy – Unsalted Butter
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Fish
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is white fish, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Sicilian Fish Stew Recipe with Halibut and Fresh Vegetables
- One-Pan Coconut Fish Curry Recipe Using Mild White Fish
- Mediterranean Pan-Fried White Fish with Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade
More 30-Minute Recipes
Looking for more quick dishes to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Recipe in 30 Minutes
- 30-Minute Spicy Cajun Snapper with Mango-Avocado Salsa
- One-Pan Lemon Chicken with Summer Squash (Ready in 30 Minutes!)
- You can use fresh or frozen fish in this recipe. Add 2-3 minutes to cook time if starting with frozen fillets.
How Do I Make Lemon Lime White Fish?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 4 (6-oz/150g) fresh or frozen* fish fillets
- 12 slices lemon
- 8 slices lime
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- If preparing indoors, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Tear off 4 sheets of aluminum foil into sections large enough to fold over fillets, with another couple of inches on each side to seal.
- Place one fillet slightly off-center on each sheet and add 3 lemon slices and 2 lime slices on top of each. Sprinkle one-quarter of the cilantro and jalapeno pepper over each fillet, and top with one tablespoon of butter. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Fold the aluminum foil in half over the ingredients. Fold the 3 open sides, one at a time, over several times to seal the packet completely. Seal the packet tight enough to hold in the steam, but allow enough room for the air to expand.
- .Place the foil packets in the center of the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or place on hot grill over medium, direct heat and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven (or grill) and carefully open the foil packets to avoid the hot steam. Discard the lemon and lime slices. Transfer fillets to individual serving plates, if desired, or leave inside foil packets and serve with your choice of sides Enjoy!
- *Add 2-3 minutes to cook time if starting with frozen fillets.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers Recipe For A Crowd
- Soup: Garden Vegetable Soup for Spring & Summer
- Salad: Mexican Chopped Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Side Dish: Butter Parsley Baby Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Beverage: How To Make Classic Margaritas on the Rocks
- Dessert: Adorable Lime Buttermilk Unicorn Cupcakes with Lemon-Lime Frosting
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.