These Trick or Treat Cupcakes are topped with pieces of Twix candy bar and such a fun cupcake to make! They’d be awesome to serve at a Halloween party, but also as a way to use up any leftover candy. So grab the cake mix, sprinkles, and chocolate bars, and let’s get baking!
I’ve got 50+ freakishly good Halloween Recipes for you to try out – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Trick or Treat Cupcakes
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
These Trick or Treat cupcakes are easy to make and fun to eat!
A box of chocolate cake mix makes the cupcake part really simple, then a quick frosting is whipped up to add to the top of the cupcakes as a base for lots of Halloween sprinkles.
But the star of the show is the pieces of Twix candy bars placed on top of the frosting and held together with chocolate ganache.
Why not mix up the candy bars and have different toppings? It’s a great way to use a mixed bag of fun size bars!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
You may have some of the ingredients for this recipe in your kitchen already – the full list with measurements is found in the recipe card.
For your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon if available online.
This recipe uses American cups. They’re a handy piece of kitchen equipment to have along with a kitchen food scale. Having both in your kitchen means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog as I use both cups and weighted measures.
- Box of Chocolate Cake Mix – plus the ingredients to make the cake mix, usually eggs, oil, and water.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – buy the best you can afford, it makes all the difference to flavor!
- Powdered Sugar – known as Icing Sugar in the UK.
- Black Food Coloring Gel
- Chocolate Chips – semi-sweet (US) or plain (UK).
- Fun Size Twix – you’ll need around 48 to cut up into pieces for topping the cucpakes.
- Disposable Piping Bag – or you could use a food bag.
- Wilton Halloween Pumpkin Sprinkle Mix – 5 (3oz) packages.*
*You are going to need a LOT of Halloween sprinkles for these cupcakes! Probably around 15-ounces total! You can use any kind of Halloween sprinkles you like. We used the Wilton pumpkin mix, but there are lots of great options on Amazon! Here are my favorites:
More Recipes Using Chocolate
One of the hero ingredients in this recipe is chocolate, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Decadent Chocolate Walnut Brownies with Chocolate Frosting
- Candy Cane Chocolate Fudge
- How To Make A Chocolate Explosion Cake
Trick or Treat Cupcakes Recipe Tips
- Use festive Halloween-themed cupcake liners to bake your cakes in.
- Use an ice cream scoop to equally divide the cupcake mixture between the cupcake liners.
- The cupcakes should be ready in about 20 minutes – test their doneness by inserting a toothpick into the cakes. It should come out clean when the cupcakes are cooked through. Bake for an extra 2 minutes and check again.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Cupcake Frosting Tips
- When making the frosting you want the end result to be creamy, smooth, and for it to hold a stiff peak. You may have to adjust the amount of powdered sugar and cream slightly to achieve the consistency you need.
- The frosting is colored black – but will be mostly covered by sprinkles!
- A deep black color can be difficult to achieve on white frosting, add in a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder to the frosting when mixing to give a darker base to start with. This does mean the frosting will have a slight chocolatey flavor but I think we can all agree that doesn’t really matter!
- Food coloring is available in various forms. You’re most likely to find liquid coloring in your grocery store, and other types of coloring like gels, pastes, and powders in more specialised cake decorating shops. The cheapest option is liquids, but they can alter the consistency of your frosting and cake batter, so I prefer to use pastes or gels which doesn’t. A little goes a long way with food coloring gels and you can usually get a much deeper shade than you would with liquids.
- Remember you can always add more food coloring but can’t take it away!
- No piping skills required for this recipe!
- Transfer a scoop of frosting to each cupcake using a medium ice cream scoop for equal measures. Flatten the frosting to a thick disk by using a knife or angled spatula.
More Halloween Cupcake Recipes
Looking for more cupcakes for Halloween? Check these recipes out next:
I’ve got lots of fun and easy Cupcake Recipes for Parties for you to try out – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
How Do I Make Trick or Treat Cupcakes?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, and instructions. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- 1 box chocolate cake mix + ingredients to make them.
For the Frosting
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 6 Tbsp heavy whipping cream (double cream)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Black food coloring gel
For the Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet (US), or plain (UK)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (double cream)
- 48 fun size Twix candy bars, cut into 3 pieces
- 5 (3oz) packages Wilton Halloween Pumpkin Sprinkle Mix
- Preheat oven as per directions on the box and place 24 cupcake liners into a cupcake pan. Set aside.
- Make the cake batter according to the box instructions.
- Use an ice cream scoop to evenly divide the batter between the cupcake liners
- Place in oven and bake for the time directed or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, use an electric stand or handheld mixer and add the butter, powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla to the mixing bowl.
- Mix on medium speed until combined, then add black food coloring gel and continue to mix to desired shade. Frosting should be creamy and smooth.
- Using a medium ice cream scoop, scoop frosting onto each of the cupcakes.
- Use a knife or angled spatula to flatten slightly and spread into a thick disk.
- Pour the Halloween sprinkles into a deep bowl.
- Dip the top of the cupcake frosting into the sprinkles.
- To make the chocolate ganache, place the chocolate chips into a medium bowl.
- Place the cream in a heavy-based pan over medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for 2 minutes and then mix until smooth and combined.
- Pour the ganache into a disposable piping bag and cut off the tip. (Or use a food bag with the corner snipped off.)
- Pipe a thick circle of ganache in the center of the frosting.
- Using 6 pieces of Twix per cupcake, pile on the pieces adding more ganache to stick in place.
- Enjoy and Happy Halloween!
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Halloween Quesadillas
- Main Dish: Oven-Roasted Apple & Sausage Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Side Dish: Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Casserole with Bacon
- Beverage: Sanderson Sisters Cocktail – Amok Amok Amok! With Rum & Apple Brandy
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!