Flip flops and Summer go hand in hand so this Flip Flop Hello Sign is an absolute must-do DIY craft this Summer! It’s fun, it’s easy, and it will be a wonderful way to welcome guests to your home. Best of all it’s an inexpensive craft and takes just 15 minutes to make!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Flip Flop Hello Sign
The full list of materials, tools, and instructions are found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have everything required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Flip Flops are a classic sign of Summer and that’s one of the reasons that a craft involving this humble footwear is a must!
If you made the “Life is Better in Flip Flops” sign I shared recently, you will have a spare flip flop… Why not use it in this awesome summer craft?
You can buy flip flops cheaply in shops like the Dollar Store (US) and the Pound Shop (UK), and that is one of the great things about this craft is that it is easy on the wallet.
Not only is it a relatively cheap craft, it’s also a fun craft to do with the kids. Let them choose the color of the flip flops and help create this fun Summer sign!
Hang the completed sign on your front door to welcome guest to your home, or hang in your garden to brighten up a boring fence or wall.
You could also use the sign as party decor for a summer pool party, or even at a tropical party or Hawaiia Luau – just change the word to ALOHA instead of HELLO!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
Some of the materials to make this sign could be bought on the cheap in either a Dollar Store or Pound Shop, but I’ve included links to Amazon below for your convenience if you need to shop online.
- Flip Flops – three pairs. You could choose colors that coordinate with your home decor, or match them to party theme colors – the possibilities are endless!
- Artificial Flowers – contrasting or matching color to the flip flops – daisies or chrysanthemums work well in this craft.
- Artificial Butterflies – in complementary colors
- Embroidered Letters – to spell out HELLO. Self-adhesive if possible, but you can always glue them in place. Approximately 3″/7.5cm high. If you can’t source embroidered letters you can use any style of letter you like. You may find individual letters for sale at craft stores.
- Yardstick/Metrestick – this is used as a baton at the back of the sign to hold the flip flops in place. They’re essentially large wooden rulers – so if you can’t source one, you could use a couple of cheap wooden rulers instead – or a thin strip of wood to use as a baton.
- Glue Gun – and glue sticks
- Garden Shears – these are to cut the yardstick, you could also use a mini hacksaw.
More Summer Crafts
Here are some more fun summer crafts you might like to try next:
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home that you can try.
How Do I Make a Flip Flop Hello Sign?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, instructions, and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
Save my How To Make a Flip Flop Hello Sign craft tutorial video to your Crafts To Make YouTube Playlists so that it’s always there when you need it – don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel while you are there!
- 3 pairs cheap flip flops - in coordinating colors
- Artificial flowers - such as daisies or chrysanthemums
- Artificial butterflies
- Self-adhesive 3" letters to spell out HELLO or ALOHA
- Wooden yardstick/metrestick
- 36"/91cm Ribbon
- Glue gun & glue sticks
- Garden shears
- Layout five of the six flip flops on your work surface.
- Measure the yardstick, so it spans the entire length and then cut off the excess with gardening shears.
- Hot glue the yardstick to the back of the flip flops, just below the thong button.
- Tie ribbon to the first and last thong button to create a hanger.
- Cut the heads off of four artificial flowers and hot glue them to the first, second, third, and fifth flip flop thong in the center. Attach an artificial butterfly to the four flip flop thong.
- Position embroidered letters to spell HELLO (or ALOHA) on the heel portion of the flip flops.
- Peel backing paper off and attach letters to flip flops. Use glue gun if your letters are not self-adhesive.
- The sign is ready to hang!