When summer is here, we all know that life is better in flip flops! So why not make this cute summer Flip Flop Sign Craft to hang outside in your garden/yard or as a greeting to guests at your front door. It’s a quick, simple, and cheap craft for all ages to make!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Flip Flop Sign Craft
We’ve been having glorious weather here in the UK and been spending a lot of time out in our garden. I realised that the fences are pretty boring to look at and I’ve been adding little touches of decor here and there to cheer things up.
This super cute flip flop sign is one of those decorations that can brighten up a boring old fence or wall – or you could even hang it on the front door instead of a more traditional wreath.
If you’re throwing parties over the summer it would be a cool decoration for a Hawaiian or tropical themed event or even for a pool or beach party!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
Full list of materials, and tools, and instructions are found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post.
I highly recommend reading this post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have all the materials and tools required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Most, if not all of the materials to make this sign could be bought on the cheap in either a Dollar Store or Pound Shop, but I’ve included links to Amazon below for your convenience if you need to shop online.
- Flip Flops – two coordinating pairs
- Artificial Flowers – a contrasting or matching color to the flip flops
- Foam or Chipboard Letters – use black, white, or a contrasting color to the flip flops so that the letters stand out
- Grosgrain Ribbon – in a complementary color. Grossgrain ribbon is a heavy-duty ribbon easily recognizable by the distinct ribs that run across its surface
- Glue Gun – and glue sticks
- Multi-purpose Glue – with a fine nozzle
More Summer Crafts
Looking for more summer crafts to make? Check these ones out next:
- Pool Noodle Baby Shark Craft!
- How To Make A Dreamcatcher
- Make These Patriotic Pinwheels for 4th of July!
- Colorful Flip Flop Hello Sign – A Fun Easy Summer Craft!
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home that you can try.
How Do I Make A Flip Flop Sign?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, instructions and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
Save my How To Make a Summer Flip Flop Sign craft tutorial video to your Crafts To Make YouTube Playlists so that it’s always there when you need it – don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel while you are there!
- 2 pairs cheap flip flops - in coordinating colors
- 3 artificial flowers - such as daisies or chrysanthemums
- Foam or chipboard alphabet letters
- Grosgrain ribbon – 36”/90cm length to coordinate with flip flops
- Multi-purpose glue with fine tip nozzle
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Select letters to spell out the phrase – Life Is Better In Flip Flops. You can use your choice of all uppercase or lowercase.
- Place three flip flops on your work surface in a line vertically and flip the middle one in the opposite direction to the other two.
- Starting at the heel end, place the letters to form the words on each flip flop before sticking down with multi-purpose glue fitted with a fine-tip nozzle. Stick "Life Is" on the top flip flop, "Better In" on the middle flip flop, and "Flip Flops" on the bottom flip flop. Leave to dry.
- Turn the flip flops over on your work surface. Starting at the base of the bottom flip flop, attach 36”/90cm of grosgrain ribbon to back with a glue gun. Going up one side, leaving a 12”/30cm hanger at the top and down the other side. Trim any excess ribbon with scissors.
- Pop the heads off of the three artificial flowers stems and then attach them to the thong part of each flip flop with a hot glue gun.
- Leave to dry before hanging the sign.
Children should be supervised when using a hot glue gun.