Here we have another Disney-inspired cocktail for you to add to your drinks menu! The Mediterranean Journey Cocktail is a mildly spiced beverage with slightly more complex flavors than more commonly known refreshments which will please the cocktail connoisseur in your life!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mediterranean Journey Cocktail
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Inspired by the drink of the same name from Spice Road Table restaurant located at Walt Disney World’s Epcot World Showcase, our Mediterranean Journey cocktail will take you on an adventure of flavor!
A spiced simple syrup is made with cinnamon, cloves, and ginger, and then shaken with Cointreau, Peach Vodka (or Schnapps) with orange and peach juices.
The glass is rimmed with Tajin, a spice blend with chili peppers, lime, and salt.
This delicious drink packs a punch and pairs well with small plates of food like olives, hummus, and pita bread, and other Mediterranean delicacies.
Ingredients Used In This Cocktail
For your convenience, I’ve linked any specialized ingredients needed for this recipe to Amazon below.
- Cointreau – or other orange-flavored liqueur such as Triple Sec
- Peach Vodka – brands include Absolut, Ciroc, and Nicolaus. You could also use Peach Schnapps.
- Orange Juice – without pulp
- Peach Nectar
- Granulated Sugar
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Whole Cloves
- Crystallized Ginger
- Tajin Seasoning
This cocktail is shaken, but don’t worry if you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you could just use a container with a tight-fitting lid – like a mason jar or even the cup on a blender or smoothie maker.
More Cocktails To Make
Want to make more cocktails? I think you’re going to love these ones:
- Disney-Inspired Mint Julep Cocktail for Sipping in the Sunshine!
- Epcot Buffalo Trace Bourbon Whiskey Spiked Frozen Coke
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Coruscant Cooler (Copycat Cocktail)
Cocktail Party Appetizers
If you want to serve some appetizers with your drinks, check out these recipes:
- Gluten-Free Baked Avocado Fries with Homemade Garlic Dipping Sauce
- Loaded Sheet Pan Nachos with Pico de Gallo for Feeding A Crowd!
- A Recipe for Avocado Deviled Eggs with a Spicy Kick!
Mediterranean Journey Cocktail Variations
I like to try and give variations on the cocktails shared on The Purple Pumpkin Blog, like how to turn the cocktail into a mocktail so that non-drinkers (and kids if suitable) can enjoy the drink too!
Virgin Mediterranean Journey Mocktail (Non-Alcoholic)
So that non-drinkers can enjoy this spiced orange and peach-flavored drink we simply remove the alcohol and replace it!
Make the simple syrup as in the recipe card, and add a rim of Tajin if desired.
In a cocktail shaker, shake together:
- 8 oz Orange Juice, pulp-free
- 4 oz Peach Nectar
- 2 oz Spiced Simple Syrup
I love the Monin brand of syrups as there are lots of flavors and they are a very versatile ingredient that can be used in cocktails, mocktails, coffee, cocoa, shakes, smoothies, and more.
I haven’t made the mocktail version, so I recommend adding the syrups to taste as they may add a sweetness that you may not necessarily get from alcoholic liqueurs.
For adults who would still like to enjoy the taste of alcohol in their mocktail, you could try non-alcoholic alternatives. In the UK, try Lyre’s, which is also available on Amazon in the UK and Amazon.com. There are other brands, but this one was more widely available.
- Instead of Cointreau use Lyre’s Orange Sec
- Instead of Peach Vodka use (another brand called Strykk) Stykk Not Vodka
Simply use the non-alcoholic alternatives instead of the alcoholic ones in the recipe card.
Frozen Mediterranean Journey
Want to turn this cocktail into a frozen slushie? Easy! Put all the ingredients in a blender with a generous amount of ice – then blend till smooth. Serve with a straw, and watch out for brain freeze! You could do the same with the mocktail version too.
Mediterranean Journey For a Crowd!
Want to make a big batch of Mediterranean Journey Cocktail for a party or gathering? It’s so easy!
As long as you use the same measuring container (glass, cup, jug, etc.,) for the “1 part”, the ratios will be correct and you can make as much as you need to.
Make the spiced simple syrup as in the recipe. You may need to make more of the syrup depending on how big a batch of this drink you make. The recipe yields around 6-8oz, so double or triple, etc., as required.
To make a big batch of Mediterranean Journey, mix together:
- 2 parts Cointreau
- 2 parts Peach Vodka or Peach Schnapps
- 6 parts Orange Juice, pulp-free
- 2 parts Peach Nectar
- 2 parts Spiced Simple Syrup
Make sure you add plenty of ice to your serving container of choice to keep the cocktail chilled. And you can add some fruit garnish in there too such as orange slices and maraschino cherries.
Or why not skewer the fruit onto cocktail picks for guests to garnish their drink?
You could also prepare glasses with Tajin rims, or leave some lime juice and Tajin in separate shallow bowls for guests to rim their own glasses as desired.
When setting up your bar serving area, you could include:
- Ice Bucket (filled with ice!)
- Cocktail Glasses
- Cocktail Napkins
- Cocktail Swizzle Sticks
- Cocktail Decorations
How Do You Add Tajin to the Rim of a Cocktail Glass?
You can use any shaped glass for this cocktail, the method for adding salt to the rim of a glass is exactly the same!
- Pour some Tajin onto a small plate or saucer.
- Cut a wedge of lime and then cut a notch/sit into the flesh – and run it around the rim of the glass to add juice to the inside and outside edges. Alternatively, you could dip the glass rim into the spiced sugar syrup.
- Dip the glass rim into the Tajin and give it a twist or two (like you’re cutting cookies from dough).
- And you’re done!
You can actually buy cocktail rimming dishes online (there is a gadget for everything!) but a small plate or saucer will work just fine.
This cocktail recipe is intended for adults of the legal drinking age in your country of residence.
Please drink responsibly. Do not drink and drive.
How Do I Make A Mediterranean Journey Cocktail?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
For the Spiced Simple Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves whole
- ½ cup crystallized ginger chips
For the Cocktail
- 2 oz Cointreau
- 2 oz Peach Vodka or Peach Schnapps
- 6 oz Orange Juice, pulp-free
- 2 oz Peach Nectar
- 2 oz Spiced Simple Syrup
For Decoration, Optional
- Spiced Simple Syrup or Lime Wedges
- Tajin Seasoning
- Orange Slices
- Maraschino Cherries
- To make the spiced simple syrup, place the sugar, water, cinnamon stick (snapped in half), cloves, and ginger chips into a small saucepan set over medium-low heat.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the flavors combine.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Pour syrup through a strainer to remove the solids. Pour the syrup into a jar or bottle. Store in the fridge until required.
- To make the cocktail, place the listed ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake for 15 seconds until well combined.
- Pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish as desired*. Enjoy!
*To add the Tajin to the rim of the glass, dip the glass edge into a shallow dish of the spiced simple syrup (or wipe a lime wedge around the rim), and then into a dish of Tajin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1414Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 462mgCarbohydrates: 323gFiber: 3gSugar: 308gProtein: 3g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Party!
The beverage is covered, but what about other dishes to create a full menu for a dinner party or special meal?
- Appetizer: This Classic Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze is Perfect for Sharing!
- Soup: How To Make Gluten-Free French Onion Soup Recipe
- Salad: Roasted Artichoke and White Bean Salad with Swiss Chard
- Main Dish: Sheet Pan Lemon Chicken and Vegetables (An Easy Family Dinner)
- Side Dish: 30-Minute Blackened Broccoli Recipe
- Dessert: Cosmic Mickey Mouse Brownies For Disney Snacking at Home!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.