Rice pudding is a dessert that many of us grew up with, and love it or hate it, this creamy Instant Pot Rice Pudding Recipe takes this traditional dessert to a whole new level. Created using Arborio rice, almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla, it pairs perfectly with fresh fruit or compote and is ready in around 30 minutes.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Instant Pot Rice Pudding Recipe
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
This creamy, custard-like rice pudding just might become your new favorite dessert. It is wonderful on its own with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and maple syrup or with some fresh berries and whipped cream. For a truly decadent treat, serve warm with some homemade Blueberry Maple Compote.
Just five ingredients (not including the optional toppings) are needed to make this pudding, and you may have most of them in your pantry already.
This Instant Pot rice pudding recipe is so easy and quick, you’ll never want to make it any other way again.
It is a great dessert for those days when you need something comforting and delicious, STAT! The Instant Pot allows you to put all the ingredients together into one pot and then pressure cook it until done – around 30 minutes in total!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It does not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Arborio Rice
- Almond Milk
- Pure Maple Syrup – buy the good, 100% stuff, anything less is just made up of flavorings and corn syrup.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – always buy good vanilla as it really does make a flavor difference.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Optional Toppings – Fresh Berries, Whipped Cream, Warm Blueberry Compote.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Rice
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is rice, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Fresh & Fruity Rice Salad (Empire Rice Salad) – A Real Crowd-Pleaser!
- Shrimp Fajita Bowls with Cilantro-Lime Rice
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
More Dessert Recipes
Looking for more desserts to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Quick & Easy Cherry Pecan Ice Cream Recipe (Churner NOT Required!)
- Rustic Fresh Blueberry Crisp Served with Greek Yogurt (Gluten-Free)
- Honey-Roasted Figs with Labneh & Pistachios
- This recipe uses almond milk, however, you can use any milk of your preference.
How Do I Make Instant Pot Rice Pudding?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Arborio rice, rinsed and well drained
- 2½ cup almond milk, divided
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
Optional Toppings and Garnish
- Fresh berries
- Whipped cream
- Warm Blueberry Compote
- Ground cinnamon
- Real maple syrup
- Cinnamon sticks
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and press the “Sauté” button. Adjust the heat setting to normal. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes until coated in the oil and lightly toasted.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and add 2 cups almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add lid and lock into place. Press the “Manual” button and adjust setting to high. Set cook time to 10 minutes and set the pressure valve to “Sealing.” After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with the remaining almond milk in a medium-sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- When the cooking time is complete, turn the Instant Pot off to prevent scorching. Allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, and then release the remaining pressure manually.
- Unlock and remove lid and transfer one heaping spoonful of the hot rice mixture to the beaten eggs and stir to combine. Repeat with another spoonful of rice before slowly whisking the tempered egg mixture into the Instant Pot.
- Press the “Sauté” button and adjust the heat setting to normal. Stir the mixture continually for 3-4 minutes until the pudding thickens and the egg is thoroughly incorporated.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and immediately remove the cooking container to prevent scorching.
- Allow pudding to cool slightly before serving or transfer to a storage container and press a layer of plastic wrap across the surface before placing it in the refrigerator.
- Serve warm or chilled topped with fresh fruit or warm blueberry compote and a dollop of whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 126mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 4g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Appetizer: Lemon-Pepper Baked Chicken Wings
- Soup: One-Pot Easy Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
- Salad: Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- Main Dish: Tuscan Pork Chops with White Beans and Crispy Sage
- Side Dish: Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes – A Quick & Tasty Side Dish
- Beverage: Cinnamon & Cumin-Infused Cranberry Vodka Spritzer Cocktail
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.