This Roasted Golden Beet Salad with goat cheese, pistachios, and a balsamic dressing is a delicious light meal to serve in the summer and autumn when beets are at their best. Golden beets are less earthier than their red cousins, but still healthy and naturally sweet and make a great addition to salads.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Roasted Golden Beet Salad
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
If your experience of beets (or beetroot as it’s also known) is pickled from a jar, then you are really missing out on the wonderful earthy flavors that this root vegetable has to offer.
While red beets are probably the most common, there are also golden beets, which are a gorgeous orange-yellow color and naturally sweet.
If you can grow your own there are lots of different varieties you can try too. We’ve planted a bag of mixed rainbow beet seeds and can’t wait to see what grows. I’ve even seen some varieties with stripes inside them, which look so pretty!
You should be able to find golden beets at your grocery store or supermarket, but you could also try local farmers markets (or indeed have a go at growing your own, although you’ll have to wait a few months to make this roasted golden beet salad).
In this recipe, the beets are simply roasted in the oven with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Once cooked and cooled, the beets are tossed with arugula (rocket), red onions, Feta cheese, and pistachios. There is a balsamic dressing you can drizzle on top, or serve on the side. (Leave out the Feta to make this dish vegan.)
This salad is robust and delicious, and would be great to take to work in a lunch box, or even on a picnic in the summer.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It doesn’t include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, and pepper, as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen already. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Golden Beets, Thyme, Cherry Tomatoes, Red Onion, Arugula (Rocket), Garlic, Basil
- Dairy – Creamy Goat Cheese
- Balsamic Vinegar
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Salad Recipes
Looking for more salads to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Chicken Strawberry Salad with Feta and Pecans & Homemade Dressing
- Roasted Vegetable & Orzo Salad
- Giant Couscous Salad with Roasted Aubergine (Eggplant), Parsley & Pomegranate
How Do I Make Roasted Golden Beet Salad?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 medium golden beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby arugula (rocket)
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- 3 oz creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat and set it aside.
- Toss the chopped golden beets with one tablespoon olive oil and fresh thyme. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place in the pre-heated oven and roast for 35-40 minutes until the beets are fork-tender and slightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the remaining olive oil with balsamic vinegar and minced garlic in a small bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Transfer dressing to an airtight serving container and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes, red onion, and baby arugula to a large salad bowl or serving platter. Top with roasted beets, pistachios, goat cheese, and fresh basil. Serve immediately with the balsamic dressing on the side. Enjoy!
This recipe can easily be converted to a vegan dish by eliminating the goat cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 252mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 17gProtein: 8g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal!
You could serve this dish as a main meal or side, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Appetizer: Lemon-Pepper Baked Chicken Wings
- Main Dish: Garlic-Herb Roasted Whole Chicken
- Side Dish: Mashed Sweet Potato
- Beverage: Fresh Blueberry Lime Mocktail
- Dessert: Quick & Easy Strawberry Cupcakes for Summer
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!