Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew is a flavorful dish that is just perfect for spring. Slow cookers aren’t just for the winter – they’re good to use all year round! Simply prep this dish before heading out for the day and you’ll have a tasty dinner ready to enjoy when you step through the door.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
Are you guilty of using your slow cooker only in the colder autumn and winter months? I know I am! I don’t know why it is a “cold weather appliance” to me, when there is just so much you can make with a slow cooker!
This slow cooker chicken and vegetable stew is delicious and light and perfect for spring.
Like most slow cooker recipes, it is really easy to prepare – all the veggies are chopped and tossed into the pot, then topped with the chopped, browned chicken and then finished off with herbs and chicken stock.
Then you set it and forget it and can go about your day or afternoon. I can be cooked on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
All that is left to do is to serve up in bowls and enjoy!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Chicken Breasts – skinless and boneless.
- Fresh Produce – Celery, Onion, Carrots, Tri-Color Potatoes (red, white, and purple), Parsley.
- Bay Leaves
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Rosemary
- Chicken Stock
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Chicken Shawarma with Rainbow Couscous
- Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Orange Cranberry Chicken Recipe Made with Bone-In Chicken Breasts
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Looking for more slow cooker inspo? Check these recipes out next:
- This Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe is Low Carb/Keto-Friendly!
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps
- Italian Style Lamb Shanks in the Slow Cooker
To save time, you can prep the veggies the night before and store in an airtight container in the fridge, then all you need to do is quickly brown off the chicken in a skillet and the finish off.
Alternatively, you can just throw in raw chicken pieces if pressed for time. However, partially cooking it off means you help to seal in the juices.
Never part-cook chicken in advance and use later as there may still be bacteria present that won’t be destroyed.
How Do I Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew?
Just check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs (900g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1½ lbs (700g) tri-color potatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 4 cups chicken stock, preferably organic
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook for 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned on all sides.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped celery, onion, carrots, and potatoes into the slow cooker pot. Then add the part-cooked chicken on top.
- Add the bay leaves, dried herbs, and chicken stock to the pot. Season with additional salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the lid and stir to combine. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, and serve immediately topped with some fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 529mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 27g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Gluten-Free Gazpacho Recipe with Chickpea “Croutons”
- Beverage: Berry Peach Non-Alcoholic Sangria Mocktail – A Refreshing Summer Drink
- Dessert: Classic Scotcheroos Recipe
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!