Delight and disgust your Halloween party guests in equal measure with these creative Bloody Hot Chocolate drinks! Made with milk and dark chocolate, red velvet extract, and red food coloring you can create something truly horrifying – and delicious! You can even add a shot of rum for an adults-only version.
I’ve got 50+ freakishly good Halloween Recipes for you to try out – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bloody Hot Chocolate
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
With Halloween coming up, I want to share with you a recipe for something that sounds gruesome but tastes oh so good!
I imagine this Bloody Hot Chocolate is what Lucifer Morningstar would drink if he didn’t have a cocktail in hand.
It can be made adults-only with a shot of spiced rum (drawn up inside a plastic syringe), which adds a deliciously disgusting decorative element to the bright red hot cocoa.
With two kinds of chocolate, red velvet syrup, whipped cream, and sprinkles, it is a truly decadent hot drink fit for the devil himself!
The post is part of the Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog, filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Halloween! Check out Crafty October from 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 for tons of awesome Halloween ideas and inspiration!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It does not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Dairy – Whole Milk, Whipped Cream
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Pure Vanilla Extract – always buy good vanilla as it really does make a flavor difference.
- Red Velvet Cake Syrup
- Red Food Coloring Gel
- Red and Black Sprinkles
- Plastic Syringes – for decoration, optional
- Spiced Rum – optional
- Plastic Syringes – for the rum shot/decoration, optional
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chocolate
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chocolate, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Chocolate-Dipped Oreo Cookie Red Spider Cupcakes for Halloween
- Pumpkin and Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
- Creepy Chocolate Spider Web Cupcakes for Halloween!
More Hot Drink Recipes
Looking for more hot drinks to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Slow Cooker Mulled Apple Cider with a Twist!
- Pumpkin Spice Irish Coffee with Baileys Irish Cream
How Do I Make Bloody Hot Chocolate?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 5 cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chip
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp red velvet syrup
- 2 drops red food coloring gel
- 2 oz spiced rum, divided
- Whipped cream, for serving, optional
- Red & black sprinkles, for serving, optional
- Combine milk and sugar in a large pot over medium heat until milk begins to simmer.
- Simmer for 4 minutes, stirring to combine, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the chocolate chips and red food coloring. Stir until combined and chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and red velvet syrup.
- Pour Bloody Hot Chocolate into two mugs, a garnish with whipped cream, and sprinkles if using.
- If adding a spiced rum shot, use a plastic shot syringe and draw 1-oz of rum per syringe, and some of the chocolate mixture. Shake gently to combine and place in the mug as shown. If you don't want to use rum, but want to use the syringe as a decoration, then just draw up some of the hot chocolate into the syringe and place it as shown.
- Enjoy and Happy Halloween!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1042Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 381mgCarbohydrates: 117gFiber: 4gSugar: 102gProtein: 25g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Halloween Dinner!
You’ve made the post-dinner hot drink to go with dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a Halloween dinner party!
- Appetizer: Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers Recipe For A Crowd
- Soup: Grandma’s Pumpkin Soup
- Salad: Grilled Corn Salad with Cherry Tomatoes
- Main Dish: Grilled Carne Asada
- Side Dish: Toxic Mac ‘n’ Cheese Recipe for Halloween!
- Beverage: Black Raven Cocktail
- Dessert: These Witch Finger Pretzel Rods for Halloween are Wicked!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.
The post is part of the Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog, filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Halloween! You can check out Crafty October from 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 for awesome Halloween ideas and inspiration!