Love is in the air with these Valentine’s Day Heart-Shaped Brownies! From-scratch brownies are cut into hearts and topped with white chocolate frosting and sprinkles – this must be the recipe of love!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
What could be more romantic than a batch of delicious heart-shaped brownies? I mean, who doesn’t love receiving heart-shaped treats?!
Here’s a delicious recipe for brownies that are perfect for the holiday. They have a rich chocolate flavor, and the white chocolate frosting covered in sprinkles makes them extra special.
These are perfect for Valentine’s Day, or any day you want to show someone special that you care!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It may not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Dairy – Unsalted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract – always buy good vanilla as it really does make a flavor difference.
- Cocoa Powder
- Instant Espresso Grounds
- All-Purpose Flour – also known as Plain Flour.
- Cornstarch – also known as Cornflour.
- Baking Powder
- White Chocolate
- Powdered Sugar – also known as Icing Sugar or Confectioners Sugar.
- Valentine’s Day Sprinkles
- Heart Cookie Cutter – we used a 4-inch cookie cutter
- Disposable Piping Bag
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Brownie Recipes
Want to make more brownies? Here are some recipes for you:
- Decadent Chocolate Walnut Brownies with Chocolate Frosting
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Brownies Recipe
- Spiderweb Mickey Mouse Brownies – A Yummy Disney Halloween Snack!
More Valentine’s Day Recipes
Looking for more treats to make for your Valentine? Check these recipes out next:
- Valentine’s Day Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Decorated Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberries for Valentine’s Day
- If you want to cut corners, you could use a tray of ready-made (uncut) brownies from stores like Costco, Sams’s Club, etc., instead of making them from scratch. This is perfect if you need a last-minute cute dessert! Just skip to the recipe where you cut out the heart-shapes from the brownies.
How Do I Make Heart-Shaped Brownies?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
For the Brownies
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ⅓ cups brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp fresh-brewed coffee, cooled
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant espresso grounds
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour (plain)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch (Cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 (4-inch) heart-shaped cookie cutter
For the Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 12 oz (225g) white chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Valentine’s Day sprinkles
- 1 disposable piping bag
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Spray a half-sheet baking pan (approximately 12 x 19) with baking spray then cover with a sheet of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, coffee, and vanilla into a large mixing bowl and beat until combined and fluffy.
- Sift or whisk the cocoa powder, espresso grounds, flour, cornstarch, and baking powder into a medium mixing bowl.
- Gradually beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Spread the brownie batter onto the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Using a 4-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 12 brownie hearts and place them onto a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, use an electric stand or handheld mixer to beat the butter and vanilla until light in color.
- Gradually beat in the cooled, melted white chocolate.
- Beat in the powdered sugar until combined.
- Scoop the frosting into the disposable piping bag and cut the tip-off at the end.
- Pipe an outline around the edge of the heart-shaped brownies.
- Fill in the center with the frosting and smooth with an angled spatula.
- Sprinkle some Valentine's Day sprinkles on top.
- Enjoy and Happy Valentine's!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 917Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 108gFiber: 3gSugar: 82gProtein: 7g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a special meal or dinner party:
- Appetizer: Garlic Parmesan Shrimp with Roasted Garlic Dip – Perfect for Sharing!
- Soup: Italian Meatball Soup
- Salad: Roasted Artichoke and White Bean Salad with Swiss Chard
- Main Dish: Sheet Pan Pork Chops with Roasted Grapes and Fennel
- Side Dish: Creamy Instant Pot Rosemary Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Beverage: Watermelon Mint Lemonade
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.