Chocolate-Covered Strawberries are a delicious sweet treat for Valentine’s Day and they’re surprisingly easy to make too! What makes these chocolate-dipped strawberries different is the chopped pecans which add a yummy crunch! Once you know how simple dipping fruit into chocolate is you can customize this recipe any way you like!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
Valentine’s Day will soon be here and chocolate goodies will be everywhere!
But instead of buying a box of chocolates for your love, why not make them a box of chocolate-covered strawberries instead?
All you need to do is melt some chocolate, dip the strawberries into it, then leave them to dry – SO simple!
Now, you could leave it there or you could get a little fancy by using different types of chocolate (dark, milk, white, semi-sweet, bittersweet, or even colored candy melts) and then drizzling designs on top or dipping them into chopped pecans like we have in this recipe.
Or you could mix and match all different kinds for a delicious variety box of sweet treats for Valentine’s Day!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
You may already have some of the basic ingredients for this recipe – the full list with measurements is found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
For your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
- Fresh Strawberries – cherries are another great fruit to dip into chocolate to give as a gift.
- Dark (Bittersweet) Chocolate Chips – use at least 60% cocoa solids, or higher.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – known as plain chocolate chips here in the UK. But you could use milk chocolate chips if you like.
- White Chocolate Chips – we’ve used this color for drizzling, but you could dip the strawberries into the white chocolate if you prefer.
- Coconut Oil – adding this to the chocolate prevents it from breaking apart as you bite into a strawberry.
- Pecans – these are finely chopped to dip the chocolate-covered strawberries into.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog! I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Strawberries
One of the hero ingredients in this recipe is strawberries, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes with Strawberries & Cream Filling!
- Berry Cheesecake Parfaits
- Strawberry Shortcake – Disney’s Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue Copycat Recipe
More Valentine’s Day Recipes
I love to give gifts that are edible – who doesn’t love to receive something delicious to eat! These recipe work great as homemade gifts or as a treat for yourself:
- Valentine’s Day Popcorn! Cupid’s Popcorn Mix
- Sweet Love Valentines Day Cupcakes
- Last Minute Valentine’s Day Cookies
- You can use your preferred type of chocolate to dip the strawberries into. This might be dark, milk, white, semi-sweet, or bittersweet chocolate. You could also use colored candy melts for a pop of color! We used 1 cup total of chocolate chips (with ¼ cup more for drizzling).
- You can just drizzle the chocolate from a spoon, or for better control, use a pastry bag fitted with a very small tip (or plastic food bag with the corner snipped off) or an empty squeeze bottle instead.
- The strawberries must be COMPLETELY DRY before dipping, otherwise, the chocolate will not adhere correctly. For best results, allow the strawberries to air dry for at least an hour before dipping in the melted chocolate.
- To avoid chocolate that breaks apart and falls off the strawberries when you bite into it, be sure to add some form of oil to the melted chocolate prior to dipping. We have used coconut oil, but you could also use melted butter or a neutral (tasteless) oil such as sunflower oil, instead.
- Use one tablespoon of coconut oil (or other oil as listed above) per cup of chocolate chips for best results.
- While the chocolate-dipped strawberries are quick to make, you need to allow time for the strawberries to dry (see above) and for the chocolate to set after dipping – about an hour and 40 minutes.
How Do I Make Chocolate-Covered Strawberries?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, instructions, and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink).
- 1 (16oz/450g) container strawberries,
- ½ cup 60% cacao dark chocolate baking chips*
- 1½ Tbsp coconut oil, divided
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup pecans, very finely chopped
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper or a Silpat™ baking mat. Set aside.
- Thoroughly wash strawberries and pat dry with a paper towel. Place on the prepared baking sheet and allow to air dry for one hour or until completely dry.
- Place the dark chocolate chips and one-half tablespoon of coconut oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate chips in 20-second increments, stirring in between until melted and completely smooth.
- Dip half the strawberries into the dark chocolate until covered. Gently drag the bottom edge against the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate before transferring it to the baking sheet.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the semi-sweet chocolate chips and one-half tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Place the baking sheet of chocolate-dipped strawberries into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate sets.
- Place the white chocolate chips and the remaining coconut oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20-second increments, stirring in between until melted and completely smooth.
- Carefully drizzle the melted white chocolate over half the chocolate-covered strawberries with a spoon. For better control, use a pastry bag fitted with a very small tip or an empty squeeze bottle instead.
- Place the finely chopped pecans in a small bowl and set aside.
- Dip the bottom of the remaining strawberries in the melted white chocolate and then dip into the bowl of chopped pecans. Swirl until the bottom of each strawberry is completely coated in the nuts. Transfer to the baking sheet with the other strawberries and return to the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until set.
- When the chocolate is firm, remove the strawberries baking sheet from the refrigerator and transfer to a serving plate.
- Enjoy and Happy Valentine's Day!
*Use either 1 cup dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips, if preferred
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 34mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Baked Coconut Shrimp with Avocado-Lime Dip
- Main Dish: Sheet Pan Roasted Rosemary Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Side Dish: Rustic Roasted Potatoes with Garlic, Rosemary & Lemon
- Side Dish: Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Beverage: Sparkling Pomegranate Cocktail with Citrus Vodka & Lime
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!