This recipe for Atlantic Cod with Garlic-Herb Butter is not only delicious but is ready in just 15 minutes. Quick fish dinners like this are perfect for busy weeknights and can be enjoyed by the whole family.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Cod with Garlic-Herb Butter
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
When you’re following a a certain eating plan, but the rest of the family isn’t, it can become annoying to think of different meals to suit everyone, can’t it?
However, when serving up a simple protein such as fish, it’s easy to add side dishes for everyone else, while you stick to the base meal.
Cod is a low-fat source of protein, so great if you eat low fat (just don’t slather it in butter like this recipe!), but it’s also low-carb, which is perfect if you are Keto – with the added fat (butter).
The herb and garlic butter is really easy to make, and you can make a big batch of it and leave it in the fridge to add to other recipes or grilled meat.
The cod is pan-seared which helps to seal in all the juices and flavor.
The recipe will work well with a variety of white fish including grouper, haddock, pollack, hake, sea bass, mahi mahi, tilapia, or snapper. Use the fish that is most sustainable in your area.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
You may already have some of the basic ingredients for this recipe – the full list with measurements is found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
For your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
- Fresh Herbs – parsley, thyme, and basil.
- Cod Fillets – this recipe uses Atlantic cod, but of course, this may change depending on where you live in the world.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog! I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Fish
The hero ingredient in this recipe is fish, so here are some more recipes using the same:
More Low Carb Recipes
Looking for more low carb inspo? Check these recipes out next:
- One-Pan Lemon & Rosemary Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Casserole with Bacon
- Kalua Pork – Hawaiian Style Pulled Pork
How Do I Make Cod with Garlic-Herb Butter?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, instructions, and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink).
For the Garlic Herb Butter
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ tsp garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 (4 oz / 100g) Atlantic cod fillets
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Prepare the garlic-herb butter by combining all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Stir until the garlic, herbs, and salt are evenly distributed throughout the softened butter.
- Transfer the butter mixture to the center of a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper and form into a log. Wrap tightly and place inside the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes to become firm.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the cod filets dry with a paper towel and season both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add filets to hot skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they become golden brown. Reduce heat to medium and carefully flip each fillet. Top each filet with an equal amount of herb butter and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes. While cooking, spoon the herb butter back over the filets as it melts.
- Remove from heat and transfer fillets to individual serving plates.
- Drizzle with melted herb butter and garnish with some fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately with some oven-roasted asparagus tossed with remaining herb butter from skillet or your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 7g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal! (Not all are low carb/keto)
- Appetizer: Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Side Dish: Simple Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Side Dish: Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Beverage: Cranberry Moscow Mule
- Dessert: Mini Berry Pavlovas
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!