This Garlic-Herb Roasted Whole Chicken is a moist, tender, and juicy chicken recipe that will leave your family begging for more! Gone are the days of boring dry chicken. This flavorful roast chicken with rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic, and butter will take dinnertime to another level!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Garlic-Herb Whole Roasted Chicken
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
This flavorful chicken recipe is a true home run. It’s the perfect choice for a nice Sunday dinner with friends and family. Plus, you can use the leftovers to make a delicious homemade chicken stock or shred the remaining meat to use in a quick soup or salad recipe the next day.
Roast chicken is one of my family’s favorite dinners, and it’s something that can be flavored in so many different ways that it doesn’t have to be the same boring plain chicken all of the time.
Using poultry herbs like sage, rosemary, and thyme, as well as garlic to make a garlic-herb butter which is then rubbed under the skin really elevates the flavor of this chicken.
Once roasted, the pan juices make a tasty sauce to spoon onto the sliced chicken. Serve it up with roast potatoes and vegetables for a delicious family meal.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Onion, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Garlic
- Whole Chicken – this recipe uses a large chicken (5-6 lb/2.2-2.7kg), but this recipe can be adjusted for a smaller one.
- Unsalted Butter
- Chicken Broth/Stock
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Fresh Herbs
One of the hero ingredients in this dish are the fresh herbs, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Lemon and Dill Salmon with Herb Salad (20-Minute Recipe!)
- Flavorful Grilled Herb-Rubbed Pork Chops for Al Fresco Dining!
- Empire Rice Salad
More Chicken Recipes
Looking for more chicken inspo? Check these recipes out next:
- How to Make Lemon Pepper Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Chicken Breasts & Summer Vegetables
- Chicken Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing
- The onion in this recipe serves two purposes: It raises the chicken out of the juices while it cooks and it imparts a lovely flavor to the pan sauce.
- After cooking, the onion is discarded, rather than eaten, to keep the overall carb count low (if this is a concern for you).
- If you would like to omit the onion completely, you can replace the onion slices with ovenproof metal cookie cutters to lift the chicken while it cooks.
How Do I Make Garlic-Herb Whole Roasted Chicken?
Just check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 1 large white onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 (5-6 lb/2.2-2.7kg) whole chicken
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Small bunch 1oz/20g) each thyme, rosemary, and sage, divided
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 cloves garlic, finely minced, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7 and arrange onion slices in the bottom of a large roasting pan or heavy-duty 12” skillet with high sides.
- Remove and discard neck and giblets from chicken and place bird breast-side up on top of onion slices in pan. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and generously season the outside with salt and black pepper.
- Separate out approximately one-third of the fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage. Remove and discard the tough stems from the thyme and rosemary leaves. Combine the leaves with the sage before roughly chopping.
- Add the softened butter, half the minced garlic, and the chopped fresh herbs in a small bowl and stir to combine. Divide the herb butter into small chunks before tucking evenly under the chicken skin covering the breast meat.
- Massage the remaining minced garlic inside the cavity of the bird before stuffing with the remaining fresh poultry herbs. Secure legs together with kitchen string, and then add the chicken broth to the pan.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and roast for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 75C/165F. Check every 30 minutes while cooking to make sure the skin isn’t becoming too brown. If it is, cover with aluminum foil after 1 hour and check for doneness after another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully transfer chicken to a serving platter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm and let rest for 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken rests, discard the onion slices in the pan and heat the remaining liquid over medium-high heat. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula or wooden spoon to remove the browned bits. Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by one-half. Once reduced, taste and season with salt and black pepper, if desired.
- To serve, carve the chicken and top each serving with a spoonful of the warm pan sauce and your choice of sides. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: How to Cook the Most Amazing Oven Roasted Artichokes
- Side Dish: Rustic Roasted Potatoes with Garlic, Rosemary & Lemon
- Side Vegetable: 5-Ingredient Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- Beverage: Fresh Blueberry Lime Mocktail
- Dessert: Carrot Cake Cupcakes
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!