Rhubarb and apple crumble is one of my husband’s favourite puddings, and this is a fab seasonal fruit dessert to enjoy on cold winter nights.
- For the filling
- 400g rhubarb, chopped into chunks
- 2 cooking apples, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 25g butter
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- For the topping
- 150g wholemeal flour
- 150g room temperature butter, chopped into chunks
- 100g light brown sugar
- 40g porridge oats
- Half teaspoon of cinnamon
- Heat oven to 200c/390f/gas 6 and have an oven-proof, medium sized dish to hand.
- Add all of the topping ingredients together in a large bowl and rub all ingredients together with your fingers until you have a rough pastry (now pop this in the fridge whilst you make the filling.)
- For the filling, melt the butter in a pan and then add the chunks of rhubarb and apples.
- Add in the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook over a low heat for 8 minutes.
- Pop the filling in an oven proof dish and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the topping over the now cooled fruit filling and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve with whipped double cream or vanilla ice cream for an extra treat!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 700Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 23gSodium: 0.7mgCarbohydrates: 90gFiber: 10gSugar: 60gProtein: 8g
Recipe and photo credit to villas.com where you can rent self-catering properties in the UK and overseas.