Sicilian cuisine is renowned for its exquisite flavors and healthy ingredients and this Sicilian Caponata Recipe is no exception! The chopped eggplant and vegetable dish can be served as a side or main dish and is a great summer dinner option. In this recipe, we’ve topped the caponata with baked cod.
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sicilian Caponata Recipe
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Caponata is a Sicilian dish consisting of chopped fried aubergine and other vegetables, seasoned with olive oil, tomato sauce, celery, olives, and capers, in an agrodolce (sweet and sour) sauce. Numerous local variants exist concerning the ingredients, by adding carrots, bell peppers, potatoes, pine nuts, and raisins.Wikipedia
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy eggplant dish, look no further than caponata.
This Sicilian dish is typically served as an appetizer or side dish, but it’s so good you may want more!
We served it here as a main dish topped with some baked cod. This meal is healthy yet hearty and perfect for a busy weeknight.
So why not give it a try? You won’t regret it!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. Staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., aren’t always included here as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ALL ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Onion, Celery, Garlic, Eggplant (Aubergine), Tomatoes, Parsley
- Protein – Cod Fillets (you could use any mild white fish you prefer)
- Tomato Paste – also known as Tomato Purée.
- Tomato Passata
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Green Olives
- Sliced Almonds
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Eggplant/Aubergine
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is eggplant, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Roasted Eggplant with Tahini Dressing & Pomegranate
- Stuffed Eggplants with Pomegranate & Tahini (Vegetarian Recipe)
- How To Make Baba Ganoush (Middle Eastern Eggplant Dip)
More Italian Recipes
Looking for more Italian dishes to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Italian Meatball Soup Recipe
- Colorful & Creamy Italian Risotto Primavera Recipe
- Italian Pasta Puttanesca Recipe (with Anchovies, Olives and Capers)
- Substitute strained tomatoes if passata is not available.
How Do I Make Sicilian Caponata with Baked Cod?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium eggplant (aubergine), peeled and cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (tomato purée)
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp capers
- ¼ cup green olives, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup raisins
- 4 (6-oz/170g) cod fillets
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley leaves, chopped, divided
- 3 Tbsp sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat and set it aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, along with the garlic and eggplant. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the eggplant begins to cook down.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, passata, vinegar, capers, green olives, and raisins to the pan. Stir to combine and cover the pan with a lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly brush each cod fillet with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and black pepper on both sides. Place the fillets on the prepared baking sheet and place them into the preheated oven to roast for 12-13 minutes until the fish turns opaque and flakes easily with a fork. (Test after 10 minutes. Do not overcook)
- Remove the lid from the pan and stir in two tablespoons each of the fresh parsley and the toasted almonds into the caponata. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Transfer to individual serving plates and garnish with remaining parsley and almonds. Serve immediately with the cod fillets. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 437mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 8gSugar: 16gProtein: 5g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
- Soup: 30-Minute Instant Pot Tomato Soup Recipe
- Salad: Classic Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing & Croutons
- Side Dish: Polenta
- Beverage: Refreshing Watermelon Vodka Slush Cocktail with Lime
- Dessert: Castagnaccio Recipe (A Traditional Tuscan Chestnut Flour Cake)
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.