Sudoku is a logic-based, number-placement game that can be difficult for youngsters to understand; however, picture sudoku, such as this set of fun Summer Picture Sudoku Puzzles, is an excellent way to introduce children (and beginners!) to the concept of this type of puzzle. Learn how to solve sudoku by downloading the free printable!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Summer Picture Sudoku Puzzles
In classic sudoku, the objective is to fill a 9×9 grid with digits so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3×3 subgrids that compose the grid contains all of the digits from 1 to 9.
I know that when I first tackled sudoku, it took me a while to figure out how to figure them out. It really is a game of logic and deduction!
This picture version uses a less confusing 4×4 grid and is a great introduction to sudoku for kids! (And for adults who can’t quite figure out how to solve these puzzles)
How To Play Picture Sudoku
In the free printable sudoku for you to download, there are six puzzles to try and solve – three are an easy level with 4 missing images to put in place, and three are medium level with 8 missing images.
- Each image must appear once and only once in each row, column, and 2×2 subgrid.
- To complete the puzzle, cut out the picture tiles underneath the sudoku grid then place the picture tiles in the empty spaces.
The cutout picture tiles are easily rearrangeable so that kids can experiment with the position of each image and learn how to play sudoku without getting frustrated.
Once satisfied, they can stick the tiles down and check the solution (and I’ve included those in the printable, as well as an instruction sheet, and the instructions at the top of each puzzle).
You can, of course, set the puzzle up for your kids by cutting out the grid and tiles – maybe even laminating them for longevity.
- You will find the download links further down this page surrounded by a purple box. Tap the purple download buttons to save the file(s) to your device.
- I’ve provided two paper sizes – A4 and US Letter (8.5″ x 11″) – use which size is appropriate for your printer.
Benefits of Picture Sudoku
Puzzles of any kind are great for brain training in both children and adults, but here are some specific benefits of sudoku puzzles:
- Improves critical thinking
- Improves problem-solving
- Improves organizational skills
- Develops deductive reasoning skills
- Develops process of elimination
- Learning to pay attention to detail
- Learning how specific rules work
More Summer Printables
There is more summer-themed printable fun to be had! Right-click and open these ones in a new tab to check out next:
- Free Printable Summer Tracing Lines Activity Sheets
- Free Printable Summer Coloring Pages!
- Free Printable Summer Hidden Objects Game (I Spy Summer)
- Free Printable Summer Shadow Matching Activity For Kids
- Free Printable Summertime Word Finding Game (How Many Words?)
Over the years I’ve created a variety of printables – for crafts, parties, organization, and celebrations like Halloween, Christmas, and more! It makes me so happy to know that you LOVE them as much as I love creating them! Here are 100+ Free Printables to download and use!
Download Summer Sudoku Puzzles Printable
Click the download link to save the printable file(s) to your computer.
The Shop opens in a new tab/window.
Visit The Purple Pumpkin Shop for more awesome printables and products!
The free printable(s) is (are) a PDF and can be opened with Adobe Reader which is free to use. Printables designed and created by The Purple Pumpkin Blog and its Designers are for PERSONAL USE ONLY and NOT FOR RESALE under any circumstances. Please read the full Terms and Conditions. You are welcome to print these free printables at a print shop if you don’t have a printer at home, however, some print shops may not print licensed characters. Colors may vary slightly on printing due to different screen and printer settings. You may share this free printable blog post on social media, including Pinterest; as well as share it on your blog/website with a link back to this blog post. Please DO NOT share the PDF on social media or on your blog/website. If you use any of my printables it would be awesome to know about it! Post a picture on the social media platform that you hang out on, and follow me: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest! Use the hashtag #TPPBprintables so I can find you! I hope you enjoy these free printables!