Aren’t these just adorable?! Perfect for Lion King or Jungle-themed parties or movie nights, these roar-some Lion King Paw Print Cookies will delight the little cubs in your life! All you need are Oreo cookies and Candy Melts!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Lion King Paw Print Cookies
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
If you’re planning on throwing a jungle-themed or Lion King party, and looking for some fun snacks to make, then these sweet Lion King Paw Print Cookies are one to try!
Oreo cookies are coated in chocolate and then decorated with brightly colored paw print candy pieces, which are easier to make than you think.
So pop colored candy melts, Oreos, and cookie icing into your shopping cart and follow our recipe to make these sweet treats!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It may not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card.
- Special Equipment – Oreo Cookie Mold
- Special Equipment – Paw Print Mold
- Wilton Candy Melts – Dark Cocoa
- Wilton Candy Melts – Yellow
- Wilton Candy Melts – Red
- Wilton Candy Melts – Orange
- White Cookie Icing Pouch
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Oreos
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is Oreos, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Fun and Easy to Make Candy-Coated Rainbow Unicorn Oreos!
- Easy Christmas Tree Oreos – A Fun Holiday Cookie Idea!
- Chocolate-Dipped Oreo Cookie Red Spider Cupcakes for Halloween
More Disney Recipes
Looking for more Disney-inspired treats to make? Check these recipes out next:
Melting Tips for Candy Melts
You can melt candy melts/candy wafers in the microwave or a double boiler, or if you plan on making lots of candy-covered treats in the future, I recommend investing in a Wilton candy melting pot as treat-making life is then so much easier!
If you use the Wilton Candy Melting Pot, you can check out Wilton’s demo video on YouTube which is really helpful. They also give tips on how to melt candy melts in the microwave, as well as using the double boiler method.
The two most important things are
- Do not overheat – use an even melting temperature
- Do not add water – it makes the candy seize up and become unusable. Make sure the equipment used is completely dry, and avoid using utensils that retain moisture like a wooden spoon.
If you find that the candy is too thick, add vegetable shortening or (solid) coconut oil in 1 teaspoon increments, up to 1 tablespoon, and stir well.
Another reminder – do not add water. The very first time I used candy melts I managed to get water in the bowl and it was ruined. Learn from my mistakes! Additionally, do not use vegetable oil, butter, milk, or any other liquids as this will also make the candy seize up.
If you are using your microwave, test melt a small amount of candy melts first, to see how it works. You may need to adjust the temperature and time to suit your machine. Heat in 15-30 second increments, stirring the candy melts each time. They may not look melted, but they might have started melting from the inside. Stirring helps to distribute the heat.
How Do I Make Lion King Paw Print Cookies?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- Add the dark cocoa melts to a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH, in 20-second increments, until completely melted and smooth. Remove from microwave and stir.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the melted dark cocoa melts to the bottom of each cookie mold.
- Place an Oreo cookie on top of the melted chocolate, in each mold.
- Spoon additional melted chocolate on top of the Oreos, covering each cookie entirely.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Meanwhile, add the yellow candy melts to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 20-second increments or until completely melted and smooth.
- Use a teaspoon to fill 4 of the paw print molds with the melted yellow chocolate.
- Add the red candy melts to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 20-second increments or until completely melted and smooth.
- Fill 3 of the paw print molds with the melted red chocolate.
- And the orange candy melts to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 20-second increments or until completely melted.
- Fill the remaining paw print molds with the melted orange chocolate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the candy to harden.
- Once the chocolates have hardened, remove the molds from the refrigerator. Gently pop out the Oreo cookies and chocolate paw prints from their molds.
- Squeeze a small amount of icing on the top of each cookie, directly in the middle.
- Place a paw print over the icing and gently push down.
- Leave to set before serving. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 30mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a special meal or dinner party:
- Appetizer: Classic Baked Potato Skins with Cheese & Bacon
- Soup: Comforting & Low Carb Bacon Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Salad: Classic Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing & Croutons
- Main Dish: How To Make Pizza Margherita (On A Cast-Iron Griddle)
- Side Dish: Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe
- Beverage: Disney’s Jungle Cruise Cocktail with Rum, Tequila, and Fruit Juices
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.