This Hungarian Chicken Stew is a family favourite! We are loving the taste of paprika in this house at the moment!
A bowlful of this chicken stew is a perfect dinner for cold winter nights – serve with a chunk of crusty bread for some real good comfort food!
Save Hungarian Chicken Stew Recipe to Pinterest for later! ⬇️
Hungarian Chicken Stew
This recipe is sure to be a winner, winner chicken dinner! It makes a great week night meal as it’s easy to prep in advance, and takes just 30 minutes to cook.
My Hungarian chicken stew is made using [cooked] new potatoes, onions and garlic, chicken thighs (boneless & skinless), bell peppers, tinned tomatoes, chicken stock, sour cream, and of course herbs and spices: paprika, mixed herbs, and bay leaves.
I serve it with some extra vegetables or a chunk of crusty bread to mop up all the sauce – yum!
This post contains affiliate links. If you clicked the link then made a purchase, a small percentage of the sale price would be paid to me. It doesn’t cost you anything more but it helps keep the lights on over here so that I can create more content for you!
The recipe in the print box (below) gives you the “regular” method for preparation and cooking, but I am going to give you some other ways to go about doing things, because I’m all about options!
Options & changes you can make:
- If you can’t get new potatoes, peel and chop larger potatoes instead. Using cooked potatoes means they’ll be lovely and soft when the stew has finished cooking.
- If you don’t like chicken thighs, you can use chicken breast instead.
- If you can’t find smoked paprika, switch it out for regular paprika.
- Use whatever colour bell peppers you like!
- If you can’t get canned chopped tomatoes, buy them whole and “chop up” in the saucepan with a spoon.
- To prep in advance: chop the onion and garlic; chop the peppers; chop the chicken; mix the herbs together. Store all ingredients in airtight containers and cook as directed when ready.
- To cook in the slow cooker: use raw potatoes instead of cooked; keep the chicken in whole pieces, and rub the paprika and mixed herbs onto each piece; Place the onions, garlic, potatoes, and bell peppers into the pot, add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf, and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4 hours – or until the chicken is cooked through, and the potatoes are tender. Stir in the sour cream when ready to serve.
- You could exchange the sour cream for crème fraîche or even natural yogurt.
- 200g cooked new potatoes, halved
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions and garlic until softened.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper and then add to the pan.
- Fry the chicken until golden then sprinkle over the paprika and mixed herbs. Add the bay leaves.
- Add the peppers, chopped tomatoes and chicken stock and stir together.
- Add the cooked new potatoes to the stew and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- When ready to serve, stir through two tablespoons of the sour cream. Top with extra sour cream if desired.
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!